Underweight people are often unable to find enough resources to gain weight, since the majority are trying to do just the opposite! Worry not; we at Ayurvedum understand what you’re going through. That’s why, we’ve dedicated an article to all you lean and dainty people out there. Today, we will address the question of how to gain weight naturally.
How to Gain Weight Naturally – Tips from Ayurveda
Balance Your Doshas
Ayurveda not only helps tackle the weight issue, but also the other mental, physical and emotional problems surrounding it. This is done by looking at your dosha – vata, pitta or kapha. Unwanted weight loss and a generally thin body are associated with vata and pitta. The following articles contain information that will help you identify whether your dominant dosha is vata or pitta, and how to balance it.
Once your dosha is balanced, your weight will automatically reach healthy levels.
Fix Your Diet Habits
We’ll talk about 2 important aspects of diet:
(1) What you consume
In general, these foods are helpful:
- Ghee (clarified butter)
- Fresh smoothies
- Soy beans
- Nuts like walnuts, peanuts, and almonds
- Whole grains like brown rice, oats, and cereals
- High calorie fruits like avocados, bananas, coconut flesh, and mangoes
- Whole, fresh and organic food
- Water – 1 warm cup of water first thing in the morning, and around 2 litres everyday (warm or room temperature, never cold.)
- Curry powder
Note: Different food is good for different constitutions/doshas. So, consult an Ayurvedic expert to know which of these foods are suitable for your body, and in what amounts.
Avoid food that is:
- Artificially flavoured
- Loaded with preservatives
(2) How you consume it
- Establish a routine where you eat every meal at a regular time.
- Ayurveda says that the heaviest meal should be lunch. Eat it between 12 pm to 2 pm.
- Pay full attention to your food. Shut off external as well as internal distractions.
- Moreover, imagine your body absorbing all the nutrients from the food and becoming stronger.
- If your metabolism is too fast, take afternoon naps to slow it down.
The Right Kind of Exercise
Going to the gym is mostly associated with losing weight. This is because gymming involves a lot of fast and heavy exercise. This increases your vata and contributes to lighter weight. To gain weight naturally, do yoga. From a certified yoga teacher, learn the following poses and practise them daily:
We strongly advise you not to learn these asanas from online videos since yoga is an exact and delicate practice – even if you do one part of the pose wrong, you’ll end up doing a completely different asasna! So be wise, and take the help of a trained yoga professional so that you practise the correct asanas and experience the full benefit.
Take Ayurvedic Medicines
There are various Ayurvedic formulations that help you gain weight naturally. Consult an Ayurvedic expert to know which one of these is fit for your dosha…
- Chyavanprash: A popular combination of many herbs in the base of the amalaki fruit.
- Ashwagandha: A rasayana or rejuvenative which boosts immunity, nourishment and de-stresser.
- Triphala: With a balancing effect on all 3 doshas, it detoxes, nourishes and revives the body and mind.
- Shatavari: Also a rasayana, it increases calmness, strength, digestion, and hydration.
- Yashtimadu: It helps gain weight by strengthening the immune system and increasing stamina.
- Amalaki Rasayana: Made from the Indian gooseberry, it has a strong detoxifying effect which is important in gaining weight.
We hope that you found this helpful! If you’d like us to write an article that provides Ayurvedic solutions to a certain problem you’re facing, tell us in the comments section!