Ayurveda believes in a holistic healthcare approach, that comprehensively helps you achieve optimal fitness along with providing sufficient energy and maintaining a balance in life. Likewise, according to a few nutritionists, the ayurvedic herbal teas such as fennel, honey lemon and other herbal teas are beneficial for you if had in moderation. These are known to possess distinctive properties such as being antioxidants, providing medicinal benefits along with retaining the perfect aroma. These really aren’t made of the tea plant. But, is an infusion of organic herbs, spices, leaves, roots, seeds and/ or barks extracted into hot water. They do not even create any addictive patterns like that with coffee or tea.
Benefits of Herbal Teas
- Herbal teas act as relaxants and promote better sleeping patterns.
- These are also considered as a stress reliever.
- Some of them help in easing discomforts related to pregnancy.
- Herbal teas curb morning sickness and nausea.
- They also promote your emotional well-being.
- Herbal teas intensify your energy, aid the digestion process, detoxify your body and calm the nerves.
- They balance the three doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha
- These can be consumed at any time of the day or night.
- The teas help you in storing absolutely no fat hence you do not gain weight. Whereas, these are a storehouse for sufficient energy keeping you active throughout the time.
- They maintain a great metabolism.
- They prove to be anti inflammatory in nature.
- And certain herbs present in them prove to be excellent agents for improving your memory.
Some Ayurvedic Herbal teas – Fennel, Honey Lemon
There are plenty herbal teas available that you can choose according to your taste, strength or doshas and feel the difference over time. Therefore, here we are talking about a few significant ayurvedic herbal teas including Fennel, Honey lemon and Honey and cinnamon that are super easy to prepare and exhibit positive effects.
The first herbal tea that we are talking about is the very popular Fennel Seed Tea. It is a thousand year old remedy that is well accepted and also has several medicinal properties.
Benefits of Fennel Tea –
- This tea provides you with a great relief from constipation and other digestion related issues.
- It improves the milk flow of nursing mothers.
- Fennel tea helps relieve menstrual cramps.
- It works like magic for PCOS/ PCOD and thyroid.
- It also helps to remove the impurities from your kidneys.
- Fennel tea benefits in curing bad breath which is a result of digestive disorders.
- It helps treat respiratory issues.
- It is also gentle enough for babies in treating colic.
- Fennel tea flushes out the excess toxins of your body.
- And it promotes a healthy urine flow.
How to Prepare Fennel Tea?
If you are thinking “where can I buy fennel tea” then it’s not a matter of concern. This is the simplest drink that you can prepare yourself. Just take care about a few things and it’ll be ready in minutes.
Start by taking one tsp of dried & crushed fennel seeds and add them to a cup. Pour boiling water to it and ensure that seeds aren’t boiled in water instead pre-boiled water is poured into the cup. This preserves the essential oils & nutrients of fennel. Leave the container covered with a lid for about 10 minutes. Then strain the drink and consume it twice or thrice a day. This tea can be consumed as it is or be combined with honey (for weight loss).
You can also prepare a tea for pacifying your Pitta Dosha by combining Fennel Seeds with Ginger, Licorice, and Cardamom.
You may also like to read : Unheard Benefits of Neem Leaves
Honey and Cinnamon Tea
The Honey and Cinnamon Tea is a beneficial mixture. Both the ingredients have an antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral effect.
Benefits of Honey and Cinnamon Tea –
- The tea with cinnamon and honey has the ability to reduce your bad cholesterol.
- This tea helps in easing your upset stomach alleviating the gas and improving indigestion.
- It provides relief from joint pains.
- It promotes a healthy and better hair growth.
- You also get rid of fatigue as both cinnamon and honey builds up your vitality.
- Honey and cinnamon tea aids your weight loss process.
- It is an excellent cure for common cold.
- You can also consume this tea to prevent heart problems.
How to Prepare Honey and Cinnamon Tea?
Simply take a cup and add half a tsp of cinnamon powder to it. Gradually keep adding boiling water to the cup along with constant stirring. Eventually fill the cup completely with boiling water and let it sit for at least 15 – 20 minutes. Do not add honey at this stage as boiling water kills the useful enzymes of honey. It is only after the water comes to a room temperature you should be adding honey. Strain the mixture and your tea is ready. Try consuming this before going to bed and early morning on an empty stomach.
You can also prepare a tea for pacifying your Kapha Dosha by combining Cinnamon Powder with Ginger, Licorice, Cardamom, Cloves and Black Pepper. Pacify your Vata Dosha by preparing a tea with the combination of Cinnamon, Cloves, Stevia, Fennel, Ginger and Licorice.
Honey Lemon Tea
Honey and Lemon tea detoxifies your body and is a popular home remedy for ailments like common cold, cough, sore throat etc. It energizes your body and is packed with vitamins, minerals and anti oxidants. This is a very pleasant as well as a sweet & sour tea.
Benefits of Honey and Lemon Tea –
- This tea acts as an energy booster and helps improve your immune system.
- It helps keep the sugar levels constant.
- Both the ingredients have antiviral, antibacterial and antioxidant properties.
- Honey lemon tea is also an excellent body cleanser that removes the toxins from your body.
- It also aids the digestion and provides a soothing effect on your stomach.
- This honey lemon water or tea even reduces your acne.
- Helps in loosing the excess weight.
- And is also an excellent remedy for hangovers.
How to Prepare Honey Lemon Tea?
Take around two or three lemons and cut them into thin slices. Place these into a jar and fill the jar completely with honey. With a spoon, slightly press and stir the pieces and honey. Try and push out maximum air between lemon and honey. Cover the jar and let it settle overnight. Next day, before the preparation of honey lemon tea, shake the jar well to mix the ingredients. Take out a few lemon pieces along with a tsp of honey into a cup. And finally, add hot water to the cup and stir the tea to mix everything well. Let it sit for 5 – 10 minutes and you are done!
Please Note: Any herbal tea that you consume should be taken in moderation. Keep in mind to choose the tea that involves only high quality ingredients and are also best suited for your body. Do not forget to exercise well along with following a proper and healthy diet. Consult your Ayurveda practitioner in case of any uneasiness.