Various people experience sciatica differently – for some, it has mild symptoms while for others, it is moderate; and for the unfortunate lot, it causes excruciating pain that makes daily life difficult. With severe sciatica, even coughing, standing and walking cause ache. But the good news is that sciatica is treatable. How to cure sciatica? And what to do for sciatica pain relief? Ayurveda has some answers.
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in the human body. It runs all the way from the back of the pelvis to the feet. Unsurprisingly, it’s also a highly important nerve since it influences the functioning of the muscles and connect these body parts to the central nervous system. ‘Sciatica’ refers to pain that comes from this nerve. Aside from the pain, people experience other symptoms like difficulties while walking, fatigue, loss of energy as well as numbness.
Ayurveda’s View on Sciatica
In Ayurveda, sciatica is known as Gridhrasi. Sciatica can be caused by a variety of factors ranging from accidents to bad posture, aggravation of vata dosha and improper digestion. As with most other vata disorders, cold and wet weather often worsens the pain. Ayurvedic solutions for sciatica pain relief include a combination of herbs, foods, procedures, medicines, and lifestyle tweaks.
Sciatica Pain Relief with Ayurvedic Remedies
Healing with Medicine
Ayurvedic herbs and medicinal formulations are effective in removing toxins from the digestion, healing the nervous system, treating inflammation, relieving pain and balancing vata There are medicines that you’d be advised to consume, and others to apply externally. Ayurvedic experts are likely to prescribe herbs and medicines for sciatica pain relief such as:
- Yograja Guggul
- Indian Aloe
- Bitter chamomile
- Vaishwanara churna
- Vishmushtik vati
- Oils such as castor oil and mahavishagarbha taila
Panchakarma is an age old Ayurvedic treatment that comprises of five major therapies. Each of these five therapies consists of different methods to cure the body as well as the mind. Depending on the cause of your sciatica, the severity and nature of symptoms, and your unique body-mind constitution, your Ayurvedic expert can use specific Panchakarma methods. Commonly used methods are Vasti, Siravedha, Agnikarma, Sarwang Abhyang and Swedana. These methods involve using various items and techniques like oils, steam, massage and puncture.
- For sciatica pain relief, you must eat a lot of carbohydrates in order to improve digestion.
- Saffron mixed with milk is quite helpful.
- Green leafy vegetables also aid better digestion, as well as clean the system.
- Avoid heavy meals since they are hard on the body.
- Sour, fried, spicy and processed food are not good.
- Ginger and garlic are great.
- Avoid okra, curd and potatoes.
Hot and Cold Compression
Hot and cold compression is especially helpful for sciatica pain relief, and you can easily do it at home. All you have to do is wet a towel with hot water and compress it on your back. Next, do the same with cold water.
- Only light exercise is good for you, like jogging and walking. If you experience severe pain, don’t exercise.
- Consult a doctor about what posture you should maintain.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights.
- Get sufficient sleep, and sleep at regular timings.
- Sleep straight on your back or support your bent knees with a pillow.
- As much as possible, eliminate stress-causing factors in your life.
- Don’t push yourself, and listen to your body’s signals.