IBS or the Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a common digestive disorder that outbreaks in various people around the world. What makes IBS different from the other digestive troubles is the belly pain along with constipation, indigestion and diarrhea that keeps hitting back again and again. You might get belly cramps, feel gassy and even sense the need to go to the bathroom frequently. It makes you feel uncomfortable affecting your life badly. In the worst case, you may even find yourself charting out bathrooms before getting to any new places. You may also start feeling hesitant to go out, eat and socialize. But, Ayurveda for IBS is the solution to all your IBS related problems.
IBS is classified under three major categories:
IBS-A – IBS alternating between constipation and diarrhoea
IBS-C – IBS which includes constipation
IBS-D – IBS where diarrhoea is predominant
The exact causes are yet not clear but science relates it to extreme stress and anxiety. The communication between your intestines and brain gets disrupted modifying your bowel habits. And some other causes may include:
- Excessive Alcohol Consumption
- Continuous Lactose/ Gluten Intolerance
- Consumption of Caffeinated and Carbonated Beverages
- Improper Sleeping Patterns (waking up all night & sleeping during the day)
The symptoms of IBS with constipation, diarrhoea and/ or indigestion include the following:
- Abdominal Pain
- Loss of Appetite
- Physical Weakness
- Chronic Constipation
- Mucus or Blood in Stool
- Constant Urge of Passing Stool
- Chest Pain and Burning Sensation
- Sensation of Incomplete Evacuation of Bowel
Dietary and Lifestyle Suggestions
- Consume fresh fruits, vegetables and juices to reduce the inflammation in your stomach lining.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol along with cabbage, sprouts, beans, potato and citrus fruits.
- Chew raw ginger or drink ginger tea.
- At night, drink flaxseed tea by boiling the seeds in a cup of water.
- One hour after your dinner, consume isabgol (Psyllium seed husks) with half a cup of yogurt (a probiotic essential for your healthy gut).
- Prepare a paste of one tbsp cumin powder, cinnamon and ginger with honey to consume thrice a day and pacify irritable bowel syndrome.
- Consume fiber rich foods if you suffer from IBS including constipation.
- Eat foods that are low in fat and easy to digest.
- Make a fine paste of pomegranate fruit cover (epicarp) and lemon juice to be taken twice a day with warm water for restoring capacity of the small intestine.
- Even though your body doesn’t cope, try and make a moderate move! Exercise and get physically active to boost your digestion and reduce the stress.
- Regular pranayama also proves to be effective. This is amongst the best natural remedies for IBS.
- Talk to someone and manage your triggers when you start feeling low especially in extreme situations when you cut yourself from the outside world.
- Consider trying one of the best relaxation techniques – Meditation. It proves better for managing your stress.
Note: Every person is different; hence what triggers one may not be the same for other. So maintain a food diary to pinpoint what foods may be problematic for you. And discuss it with your ayurvedic practitioner to take further steps.
Remedies for Treating Constipation and Indigestion
1. Best natural relief for constipation:
- Increase your intake of carrot juice and fruits like orange, grapes and papaya.
- Eat freshly chopped onions.
- Consume ginger tea that helps to initiate your bowel movements.
- Guava with seeds also relieves constipation.
- Drink milk twice a day with some extra honey.
- Eat two apples (with peel) every day on empty stomach.
- Apply at night (on your belly button) a few drops of lukewarm castor oil to pass easily stool next morning.
2. Ayurveda for Indigestion:
- Eat foods low on fats. Avoid junk items. Consume more of probiotics.
- Small meals are suggested. Include green leafy veggies in your diet.
- Pulses and potatoes reduce your indigestion.
- Lemon juice also eliminates the bodily toxins.
- Pineapple juice contains digestive enzymes to again relieve your upset stomach.
Ayurvedic View on IBS Treatment
There are several different digestive disorders that fit into the category of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Ayurvedic treatment for stomach problems like IBS involves restoring your digestive system’s functioning along with eliminating the accumulated toxins and providing lifestyle guidance to nourish your mind and body. People suffering from IBS are suggested to take control of their stress levels and prevent worsening of the symptoms. IBS cure in Ayurveda focuses on proper digestion to let the illness not affect your schedule. IBS isn’t a life threatening disease but patients are advised to keep a self-diagnosis so the condition doesn’t keep interfering in the daily life activities.
“Health is undeniably your real wealth. When you are in the pink of your well-being do not waste it with irregular and negative habits. Inculcate Ayurveda for IBS. And instil discipline in your routine by making the right lifestyle choices to keep such diseases at bay!”