We rely on our eyes to carry out nearly every task…from the moment we wake up until we get into bed. So, it is wise to take remedial steps at the very first sign of weakening eyesight. There are plenty of home remedies to improve eyesight, before it turns into a health issue. In this article, we will talk to you about Ayurvedic cures for weak eyesight.
Weak Eyesight and the Doshas
As per Ayurvedic wisdom, an imbalance of each of the three doshas – vata, pitta and kapha – can have a specific kind of impact on your eyesight.
Pitta Dosha: Pitta is responsible for changes and processes, such as digestion. It is also linked with vision. When your pitta is out of balance, eyesight issues involve damage of specific parts of the eye, imbalance in the nutrition the eye receives, problems with the retina’s functioning, and the processing of images in the brain.
Vata Dosha: Vata relates to movement, such as circulation of blood. So when your vata is out of balance, it results in issues with the delivery of nutrition to the eye, problems in transferring signals from the eyes to the brain, the the flow of aqueous humor, and dryness in the eyes.
Kapha Dosha: Kapha dosha links to the components of the body, like the skeleton and tissues. When your kapha is out of balance, it causes problems related to the apparatus of the eye, and its humors. Issues include dryness in the eyes, build up of mucus in the sinus, and weakening of the muscles.
Ayurvedic Cures for Weak Eyesight
Ayurveda takes a highly customised and personalised approach to health problems, including weakened eyesight. When you consult an Ayurvedic expert, they will analyse your constitution and the degree of the dosha imbalance. Based on a detailed report, they will blend medicines, diet, exercises, and lifestyle factors to balance out the dosha and eliminate the root cause of your weakening eyesight.
- To keep pitta balanced, avoid spicy and highly heaty food, as well as excessive fluids.
- Avoid stimulants such as coffee and alcohol.
- Also avoid processed, canned, stale and non-vegetarian food.
- Include raw carrots and leafy veggies such a spinach in your diet.
- A helpful powder for eyesight problems is that of the chicory root, mixed with half teaspoon of honey and another half teaspoon of cow milk ghee. Take this once a day along with milk.
- Mix three teaspoons of aloe vera juice, half a teaspoon of clove oil and a cup of water. Drink this before breakfast.
- Raw parsley juice can cure a range of eyesight problems such as cataract, opthalmia, general weakness, corneal ulcers, as well as conjunctivitis.
- Never use hot water on your eyes.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to screens on your mobile phone, laptop, or television.
- Exercise your eyes daily: Move your eyeballs right and left, then up and down, and finally, clockwise and anti-clockwise.
- Mental and emotional stress can also influence your eyesight. If you experience strain, anxiety, anger, grief and such emotions, take steps to tackle them.
- Develop a rhythm that is in sync with nature – waking up early in the morning and sleeping early too.
- Shield your eyes from smoke, pollution and Sun rays.
- Get enough sleep.
- Stay hydrated.
The more you learn about Ayurveda, you will realise that everything you do affects everything else. In other words, the way you live your life has an influence on all your body parts and sense organs – including your eyesight. So besides using Ayurvedic cures for weak eyesight, it is wise to approach this matter in a holistic way as Ayurveda always encourages. This means bringing the ideals of health and wellness into every aspect of your daily life.