When you start cutting yourself from the outside world, when you start wearing those loose and baggy clothes and when the physical appearance begins to bother you, it is time for some self-analyzation! You might be risking your health to an epidemic called Obesity, a condition where your calorie intake gets double than your body’s requirement. The fat starts to deposit and none of it is adequately burnt. Overweight people don’t realise it in the early stages but with time if proper care is not taken, it becomes difficult to tackle the problem. From around the past two decades, obesity has become a really serious and common health issue. People put themselves at the risk of many critical diseases like blood pressure, diabetes, heart diseases, arthritis and more. On the whole, there forms an imbalance between the calories you consume and the calories you need to burn. Some of the symptoms include breathlessness, increasing body fat, excessive sweating, being low on energy and/ or flabby belly, arm and thigh fat. But how do you overcome the circumstances and gain confidence? Read further to know about Ayurveda for weight loss!
Relationship between Kapha and Ayurveda for Weight Loss
Ayurveda for weight loss essentially concentrates on pacifying a person’s Kapha Dosha obesity directly relates to an imbalanced Kapha making the body’s functioning slow, heavy and cold. Aggravated Kapha increases the toxins in the body and makes them accumulate in the weaker sections. This creates a blockage leading to an amplified production of fat tissues. Such toxins further imbalance the naturally flowing Vata Dosha which on the positive side make a person spiritual, creative and fluid. On the other hand, a balanced Kapha provides nourishment to the muscles, blood, bones and fat. Therefore, ayurvedic treatment for weight loss believes that corrective measures should be taken before the problem contributes to serious health issues.
Causes Leading to Obesity
- Consumption of more and more calories than the bodily requirement
- Being desk-bound and burning low to nil calories
- Genetic or hormonal imbalances
- Medicines like oestrogens, insulin and/ or psychotic drugs
- Improper eating habits
- Not getting enough sleep
- Lack of physical exercises
- Sleeping during the day
- Frequent munching
Diet & Lifestyle Suggestions
Ayurvedic weight loss treatments start when you inculcate some necessary lifestyle changes for achieving effective results.
- Eating Sensibly (This tip works best in Ayurveda for reducing belly fat): Take small frequent meals rather than three large ones. Make sure not to avoid your breakfast. Also, eat the right kind and amount of proteins to keep your belly full and fat away.Add fresh fruits, salads and bitter/ leafy/ seasonal vegetables to your diet. Cut down the intake of sweets, butter, cream, chocolates, carbonated beverages and oily/ fried/ processed foods that aggravate Kapha. Also, keep a distance from potatoes and polished rice.Use olive/ coconut oil or desi ghee for cooking. Avoid consuming the wrong combinations. And remember, “You are not what you eat but what you digest.”
- Warm Water: Keep yourself hydrated. Make sure to drink water throughout your day. Consume warm water which is a natural detoxifier for your body. It enhances the absorption of nutrients from your food and also fastens the weight loss process.
- Physical Activities: Include some amount of exercising in your routine. Go for brisk walks, make your way for jogging, do some household chores, perform yoga along with meditation and try to maintain a schedule for all of it. Stretch & strengthen your muscles to feel fresh. Understand the benefits of waking with the sun to start loosing weight. Also keep away from sleeping during the day.
- Panchakarma: This is amongst the best ayurvedic slimming tips which not only helps remove toxins from your body but also restores your mind and spirit’s natural balance. Panchakarma treatment for obesity helps to develop your digestive fire. It naturally reverses the toxin-carrying mechanism of your body to efficiently maintain the weight and improve your lifestyle along with mental and emotional health.
Ayurveda for Weight Loss: Home Remedies
Ayurvedic home tips for weight loss are really simple yet effective. Follow these religiously and feel the difference.
- Honey Lemon: Every morning drink a glass of lukewarm water with a tsp of honey and some lemon. This is kind of an energy drink that keeps you going all day and is amongst the most preferred weight loss tips in Ayurveda!
- Veggies & Fruits: Eat veggies like bitter gourd, bitter variety of drumsticks, spinach, kale, broccoli, kidney beans, lentils and legumes. And consume weight loss friendly fruits that include avocado, grapefruit, watermelon, kiwi fruit and orange etc.
- Spices: Take a mixture of black pepper, long pepper along with ginger root powder in lukewarm water twice a day. On empty stomach, take a mixture of honey, lemon, black pepper powder in warm water, twice a day, to help reduce weight.
- Mint Tea: Consume mint leaves tea boiling it for at least 15 minutes. When the water comes to room temperature add some honey and drink it thrice a day.
- Oil Massage: Along with regular exercising prefer everyday oil massage as well. This keeps your muscles, bones and joints nourished. It also mobilises the fat deposits.
- Triphala: Every night drink a glass of hot water with one tsp Triphala powder and at least an hour after your dinner. This does wonder!
- Buttermilk: Consuming buttermilk also helps in the transformation of your fat tissues.
- Barley: Include barley to your diet as it takes care of your digestion process and not adds to the calories.
- Curry Leaves: You can even chew fresh curry leaves every day for about three months to notice that change.
- Cinnamon Honey Tea: Consume cinnamon honey tea once before bedtime and once after waking up.