Panchakarma is an Ayurvedic treatment that employs five major therapeutic procedures to restore your body’s balance. It revives the irregularities between the three Doshas, strengthens the immune system, regulates digestion and eliminates excessive ama (accumulated toxins) for a total detox. When performed under the supervision of trained therapists, this Ayurvedic treatment leaves no side effects. However, the success depends upon how well the physician, as well as the patient, co-operate.
Five Major Panchakarma Therapies
1. Virechnam: It’s amongst the five healing practices of Panchakarma that’s designed for a Pitta imbalance. So, the administration of purgative substances heals the physical, emotional as well as mental disorders.
2. Basti: This Panchakarma treatment uses enema of herbal decoctions. Therefore, it’s helpful for in Vata disorders and is a colon cleansing procedure.
3. Raktamokshan: It’s both a preventive as well as a curative blood cleansing Ayurvedic treatment. So, it can heal several allied health conditions.
4. Vamana: It’s a practice of therapeutic as well as medicinal emesis that treats a Kapha imbalance.
5. Nasya: Aromatic herbal oils are poured in one nostril and washed out from the other. Thus, it improves your memory, breathing, and hearing ability.
A Few Other Procedures …
1. Abhyanga: This Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatment involves a full body massage with pure herbal oils prepared for specific needs. Click here to know how to perform Abhyanga as per your dosha.
2. Vishesh: To enhance blood circulation as well as relieve any muscular tension, Vishesh treatment is conducted.
3. Garshan: The therapist wears raw silk gloves to create friction on the skin. Therefore, it aids blood circulation, removes impurities and always succeeds Abhyanga.
4. Udvarthana: A paste made of ground grains and herbs is applied to cleanse the skin pores as well as tissues.
5. Shirodhara: In this Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatment, complete silence is necessary. Pouring a stream of warm oil over the forehead provides deep relaxation. Check this out: Shirodhara Treatment & Its Various Health Benefits
6. Swedana: This Ayurvedic practice is also known as steam therapy. It makes use of herbal steam to clear toxins from the body as well as relieve mental tensions.
7. Marma: This healing procedure involves putting pressure on the marma points scattered in the body. It’s like Ayurvedic acupressure.
8. Netra Tarpana: Ghee or a medicated oil is used to enhance the vision in Netra Tarpana Ayurvedic treatment. Here’s some more info: Akshi Tarpanam (Netra Vashti)
Panchakarma Treatment Benefits
Once you experience the benefits, you cannot turn a blind eye. This age-old rejuvenation system is much more than just a herbal massage. It can treat a wide range of physical as well as emotional disorders. Therefore, this Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatment helps manage:
- Respiratory disorders
- Chronic ulcers
- Skin problems
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- High BP and cholesterol
- Digestive issues
- Cerebral palsy
- Deteriorating eyesight
- Chronic inflammation
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. Therefore, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.