There are many kinds of Ayurvedic body massage, one of the most popular ones being Abhyanga massage, which you can do yourself. The ancient Ayurvedic texts recommend including Abhyanga in one’s daily routine (dinacharya). It is also a part of Panchakarma therapy.
Learning how to do Abhyanga is not difficult. But it is important to practise Abhyanga according to your dosha. If not done as per your dosha, you may not get the best effects. It could possibly also do harm – like heating up the body when your Pitta is already high. So, that’s what we’re doing to talk about at in this article.
Ayurvedic Massage Tips: Abhyanga As Per Your Dosha
1. Vata Dosha: Air + Ether
Benefits Of Abhyanga For Vata:
Ayurvedic body massage is immensely helpful for Vata types. It calms their nervous system and grounds the body. It offers much-needed warmth for Vatas. Abhyanga for Vata lubricates the joints and reduces stiffness. It also hydrates their dry skin.
Guidelines For Vata:
- The best oils for Vata have heavy, hydrating, and warming properties. Sesame, almond, and ashwagandha oils are good.
- Vatas should do Abhyanga as often as possible, especially during the winter. If possible, it should be a part of their daily routine.
- While doing oil massage, Vatas should not use too much pressure since they are already sensitive.
- Avoid doing it in a windy atmosphere since it aggravates Vata.
- Aromatherapy fragrances offer further relaxation. Lavender, vanilla, and patchouli are good options.
2. Pitta Dosha: Fire + Water
Benefits Of Abhyanga For Pitta:
The Pitta mind is easily agitated and can get too involved in competitiveness, anger, jealousy, and pride. Pittas need to take it slow and cool down. Abhyanga is a great tool for that. Ayurvedic body massage can also help reduce inflammation and skin problems often faced by Pittas.
Guidelines For Vata:
- The best oils for Pitta have cooling, soothing and hydrating properties. Coconut, rose, olive, and sunflower oils make good options.
- During summer, don’t heat up the oil too much – lukewarm is enough.
- Make sure that the environment is cooling. Having green plants around creates a very good atmosphere for Pittas and helps them relax.
- You can also use fragrances such as orange, rose, and sandalwood.
3. Kapha Dosha: Earth + Water
Benefits Of Abhyanga For Kapha:
Kapha types tend to suffer from sluggishness, weight gain, toxin accumulation, and depression. Abhyanga Ayurvedic massage for Kaphas can offer some much-needed stimulation to the body. It helps flush out toxins, refreshes the mind, and can also help reduce weight in Kapha types.
Guidelines For Kapha:
- Abhyanga massage for Kapha should be done with warming and light oils that are not excessively moisturising in nature. Good options are mustard and sunflower oil. Sesame oil can be used in very cold weather.
- Ayurvedic massage for Kapha should be done in a warm environment.
- For more stimulation, you can massage yourself with higher pressure.
- Fragrances like citrus, peppermint, and eucalyptus provide an uplifting effect.
- When Kapha dosha is highly aggravated, Abhyanga massage is not recommended.
Note: Posts on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness about natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.