Shirodhara is a panchakarma therapy that benefits your nervous system. This Ayurvedic treatment works to balance your doshas. It mainly serves those with Vata and Pitta aggravation. Herbal as well as medicated oils form an important part of this treatment since they benefit your mind as well as body. Shirodhara calms the mind, relaxes bodily tensions, prevents headache, cleanses the skin and hair along with enhancing your memory power. What else? Keep reading…
What Is Shirodhara?
The word Shirodhara explains itself. Shir means head and Dhara means a stream. Therefore, this Ayurvedic treatment involves pouring herbal oils in a stream over the head. And, there are different ways to approach the head oiling:
- Abhyanga – It involves massaging the head with herbal oils for 30-40 minutes.
- Seka – The herbal oils or liquids consistently fall in a stream over the head for 35 or 60 minutes.
- Pichu – The process uses a cotton pad dipped in oil.
- Basti – A leather cap covers your head. And, the black gram flour dough seals the cap which is later filled with herbal oils for a stipulated time.
- Sneh Dhara – In this process, herbal oils or ghee is used.
- Ksheer Dhara – Milk is infused with herbs and applied.
- Takra Dhara – Herbs-infused buttermilk is used.
Benefits of Shirodhara Treatment
1. Shirodhara Treatment Cures Sleeping Problems.
This Ayurvedic treatment helps stimulate the pineal gland, associated with sleep. When conducted with milk, Shirodhara induces better sleep by regulating the wake-sleep cycle.
2. It Benefits The Nervous System.
Shirodhara focuses on enhancing the functioning of your nervous system. Therefore, it reduces the Vata, as well as Pitta to regulate the memory and nerve functions. Patients suffering from psychosomatic disorders also undergo the Shirodhara treatment to gain lasting benefits.
3. This Panchakarma Treatment Rids Hypertension.
Hypertension or high blood pressure is a common health condition these days. It may result from a stressful or an unhealthy lifestyle. Therefore, shirodhara treatment relaxes the body as well as helps pacify unbalanced Vata and Pitta. It also improves blood circulation.
4. Oils Benefit Your Hair Health.
This panchakarma treatment involves deep oiling which penetrates inside the skin as well as hair follicles. It not only smoothens your skin but also strengthens the hair, along with maintaining their luster.
5. It Lightens Up Your Mood & Fights Depression.
Shirodhara treatment fights the signs of depression. Ayurvedic practitioners prescribe the therapy to the patients of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) since it calms the mind and alleviates tension.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.