Allergic Rhinitis, commonly known as hay fever, can truly ruin the beauty of spring – it brings along symptoms like watery eyes, itching in the throat, and constant sneezing. Allergens like pollen are the culprits. It affects a large number of people these days but luckily, you can carry out natural and painless Ayurvedic treatment for allergic rhinitis.
According to Ayurveda, allergic rhinitis stems from a few factors such as aggravation of Vata, Pitta or Kapha, a weakened immune system, and digestive problems. So, these remedies tackles such causes of hay fever and restore the body’s health.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Allergic Rhinitis
1. Undergo Panchakarma Treatments.
Panchakarma is a series of five Ayurvedic therapies. In fact, ‘Pancha’ translates to ‘five’. There are a few treatments that can help those with allergic rhinitis. Shodhana involves cleansing and lubricating the nasal area with herbal oils. It reduces inflammation in the sinuses and pacifies Kapha. Vamana may also treat hay fever by getting rid of toxins accumulated in the system as well as cleansing and strengthening the respiratory tract. Virechana, another form of Panchakarma, uses laxatives to cleanse the intestines of toxins and pacifies the Pitta dosha.
2. Try Home Remedies.
After a proper consultation with your doctor regarding Ayurvedic treatment for allergic rhinitis, you could try home remedies such as these:
- Brew a cup of basil and mint tea. Add a few leaves of each to a cup of boiling water. Pour it out after 4-5 minutes and drink lukewarm. This will relieve the symptoms and soothe your senses.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ginger, half a teaspoon of licorice powder, quarter teaspoon black pepper, and a handful of holy basil leaves to a cup of water. Boil it until you’re left with half the quantity. Drink it warm. You could add a teeny bit of honey to taste.
- Boost your immunity with Indian gooseberry. Simply add half a teaspoon of its powder to a teaspoon of honey. Mix it well and eat it.
- If your digestion is weak, ginger can be an effective Ayurvedic medicine for rhinitis. It will also take care of the headaches. Simply chew on a ginger a few times a day. If the taste is too much, drink warm cups of ginger tea – boil a small piece of ginger in a cup of water for a few minutes and drink warm.
- Turmeric milk can boost your immunity, tackle inflammation, relieve headaches as well as help you sleep better. Every night, add a teaspoon of crushed ginger and a quarter spoon of turmeric to 2 cups of milk. Boil until the mixture reduces to half. Drink warm and head to bed.
3. Mind Your Diet.
Treatment for allergic rhinitis in Ayurveda involves making a few changes to your diet. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Eat food that is fresh and light.
- For those with excess Kapha, add spices like ginger, garlic, turmeric, and black pepper to your meals.
- Avoid meat, fermented, heavy and processed foods.
- Avoid alcohol completely.
- Stay miles away from anything cold.
- On the other hand, drink fresh fruit juices.
- Stay hydrated. Aside from drinking water, have liquid foods like soups.
4. Tweak Your Lifestyle.
Improving one’s lifestyle is another important part of treating Ayurveda for allergic rhinitis.
- Shower with warm water.
- Stay protected from the Sun.
- Sleep at regular times and get enough of it.
- Cover your nose in dusty and polluted surroundings.
- Keep your home free from dust as much as possible.
- Do steam inhalation frequently.