Both coconut and red lentils are highly cherished Ayurvedic ingredients. Coconut balances Vata and Pitta, while red lentils balance all 3 doshas. Coconut lentil curry, also called coconut dahl, is a power food. It has an incredible range of nutrients: protein, iron, fibre, B vitamins, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium…the list goes on! So adding it to your diet can give you a much-needed health boost. This is one of my personal favourite coconut recipes that I enjoy when my body wants something simple, yet deeply nourishing and yummy.
How To Make Coconut Lentil Curry
What you’ll need:
- 1½ cups red lentils
- 400 ml coconut milk (preferably fresh!)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 4 cups water
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
What to do:
- Heat up the ghee in a pot.
- Add lentils, ginger, curry leaves, turmeric, cumin, and coriander powder. Sauté for about half a minute.
- Pour in the water and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until the lentils are soft, for about 25 mins.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped mint leaves.
We hope you enjoy this dish. If you have any, share your favourite coconut recipes in the comments section!