We know that grabbing a meal on the go is almost everyone’s lifestyle. But, try taking a pause, particularly for the most important meal of the day – your breakfast. Because that’s what will keep you going throughout the day. There’s one dish you will not regret and also not be able to resist – yes, we are talking about the besan chilla! And we bring to you a great besan chilla recipe.
We call it a humble chilla recipe since it’s easy to prepare, high on nutrients, light on the stomach and therefore, a classic serve to calm those brutal morning cravings. It’s a pancake made with gram flour and alternatively, you can also use semolina, rice flour or green gram for the preparation of chilla batter. These make your dish even healthier. Chilla is low in calories and highly satisfying. So, here’s a besan chilla recipe.
Besan Chilla Recipe
What You’ll Need:
- 50 g gram flour
- 20 g rice flour
- 30 g spinach
- 20 g grated carrot
- 20 g coriander leaves
- Half a green chili
- A pinch turmeric
- 1/4 tsp turmeric and asafoetida powder
- 1 tsp carom & cumin seeds
- 1 cup water
- Some butter
- Rock salt to taste
What To Do:
Basic Besan Chilla Preparation
- Whisk the besan chilla batter – mix the flour, chilies, asafoetida, turmeric, coriander, chopped spinach leaves, grated carrots, and salt with water. This makes the batter yellowish in color, however, you can add some coriander pulp to make it green.
- Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Heat a pan, pour a ladleful of batter and spread it in a circular motion.
- Smear some butter along with the edges for an even and non-stick cooking.
- Cook on medium flame.
- Flip over till it gets golden brown.
- Once done, fold it into half and serve!
- Either use steamed potatoes, crumbled cottage cheese or sautéd sprouts.
- Mix in some finely chopped mint leaves along with dry mango powder, rock salt, and green chilies.
- Toast these up for a minute in a pan.
- Once the besan chilla is ready, spread the stuffing and fold it up.
- Put the chilla on the pan and let it heat for a few seconds on the outside. This will add some extra crunch.
- Flip and cook on both the side. Get it off the pan and serve hot with green or tamarind chutney!
This is our version on how to make besan chilla recipe. Share with us how you like your besan chilla to be!
Note: Posts on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness about natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.