When it comes to menopause, mood swings, exhaustion, hot flashes and weight gain in women are the much talked about changes. Don’t you think it’s time for us to even start talking about male menopause (andropause)? But, wait a second; do you know what is male menopause? And even if you know, the signs can easily be dismissed!
What Is Male Menopause a.k.a Andropause?
What is male menopause? In simpler terms, it is the condition wherein men experience a decline in their testosterone levels as they start to get older. It is also called as testosterone deficiency. Male menopause is very much different from what women go through. The more commonly used term is andropause and yes, this is a real condition that a majority of men do not know about.
Andropause can usually be seen in men who are in their 60s or 70s. And due to these hormonal changes (lowering testosterone), the levels can go down by almost 50% from what they usually are in the 20s, 30s or 40s. A healthy man can however still produce sperms until his 80s. But, a man in the andropause stage may experience not only physical, but also emotional as well as cognitive changes.
Male Menopause Symptoms
1. Night sweats (hot flashes) are very common.
2. There’s a reduction in the muscle mass.
3. Feelings of fatigue
4. Lowering self confidence
5. Sadness or critical depression
6. Decreasing sexual desires
8. Erectile dysfunction
9. Unusual hair loss
10. Deteriorating sleep cycles
11. A prolonged sensation of being sick
12. Accumulation of greater belly fat
13. Low testosterone levels can also make your bone less dense, fragile and brittle.
14. Exercising or losing weight becomes more difficult.
15. In critical cases, breast enlargement might even occur.
Male Menopause Treatment
An expert doctor must be consulted to perform a proper diagnosis. The doctor may ask you about the symptoms, perform a physical examination, ask you to undergo certain necessary tests and only then come to a conclusion.
When the testosterone levels go down, a therapy like Testosterone Replacement is usually suggested. It relieves the symptoms and gets your life somewhat back on track. Androgen Replacement is another therapy for people experiencing andropause. However, the two are pretty dangerous and leave devastating side effects.
The best male menopause treatment is by bringing about certain lifestyle changes so as to ease the signs of male menopause. This usually includes a change in the current diet, adoption of some effective anti-depressant, mild exercise programs along with changes to the lifestyle that are leading to worse conditions.
Ayurveda On Male Menopause
1. Learn to manage your emotions.
2. Perform meditation or relaxing yoga postures.
3. Avoid alcohol or smoking.
4. Regularly massage your body with warm sesame oil.
5. Ayurvedic medications like Shilajit, Ashwagandha, and Musli are also beneficial.
Note: This article is solely for the purpose of sharing information. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So before using anything to treat yourself, always consult your doctor.