Flatulence is simply the build up of gas in the alimentary canal. It is normal to pass gas around 8 to 10 times a day. But if in excess and foul smelling, it should be nipped in the bud. According to Ayurveda, excess flatulence is due to reduced agni (digestive fire) and excess Vata. If you are looking for a flatulence remedy, we recommend trying out these four things.
Gas Relief Medicine
1. Take Ayurvedic Spices.
Precious Ayurvedic spices are a flatulence remedy right in your kitchen cabinet! All these spices have carminative properties and they also boost agni. They are sure to provide you with some much-needed gas relief. So, try these.
- Just add a small pinch of asafoetida (hing) and another pinch of cumin powder your food.
- Chew a handful of fennel seeds after meals.
- Make a digestive tea by brewing these spices in water for about 7 minutes: 1 tsp each of ginger, carom seeds (ajwain), and cinnamon. Drink 30 minutes before meals.
- You can also drink peppermint tea.
2. Pranayama Works As A Gas Relief Medicine.
Any kind of imbalances, be they in the mind or body, can lead to digestive issues. Stress can aggravate Vata and cause flatulence as well as constipation. Pranayama techniques are a flatulence remedy you could practise to calm the mind. Nadi Shodhana (Alternate Nostril Breathing) and Brahmari Pranayama (Humming Bee Breath) can balance your mind. Surya Bhedana (Left Nostril Breathing) boosts agni.
3. Keep Away From Gassy Foods.
If you suffering from excess gas, it is advisable to keep away from foods that can aggravate the condition. One of the ways you can get gas relief is by avoiding foods:
- Beans (except green beans)
- Lentils (except red and yellow mung)
- Leafy greens like cabbage
- Cruciferous veggies like cauliflower
- Excess cheese
- Refined sugar
- Excess salt
- Refined carbs like white bread
On the other hand, eat light foods. Probiotics like yogurt and buttermilk are a good gas relief medicine. Ghee soothes Vata as well as cleanses the body of toxins. Drink a whole lot of warm water. Enjoy warm soups and vegetable stews; they soothe the stomach.
Eat a light dinner and maintain regular meal timings. Eat mindfully and not in a hurry.
4. Do Yoga For Gas Relief.
Another natural flatulence remedy is yoga. There are specific yoga asanas that massage and twist the digestive organs, helping them heal.
- Pawanmuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose)
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord Of The Fishes Pose)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
- Setubandhasana (Bridge Pose)
- Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
- Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose)
These get to the root cause of the problem and provide fast relief. But do bear in mind that they should not be self-taught, but learned only under the guidance of a certified yoga teacher.
So go ahead and try these out for easy gas relief!
Note: Posts on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness about natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.