Migraines are among the most debilitating types of headache, often accompanied by other symptoms like high sensitivity to light and sound, nausea, and vomiting. Let’s talk about how Ayurvedic treatment for migraine offers relief from the pain.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Migraine
1. Peppermint Tea and Oil
Peppermint has been used for its relaxing, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties for a long time. Its menthol content releases tension from your muscles, making it a helpful Ayurvedic medicine for migraine headache. You can use its essential oil as well as leaves. The fragrance of peppermint oil is wonderful for soothing nerves. Simply take two drops of the oil and gently massage them onto your head. Or brew a calming cup of peppermint tea: crush and add 7 leaves to 8 ounces of water. Bring it to a boil and then turn the heat off. Pour it into a cup after 5 minutes.
2. Steam Inhalation with Essential Oils
Apart from peppermint, other herbs offer essential oils that are of much value to those suffering from migraine headaches. Lavender, jasmine and rosemary oil are worth a try. All three of them tackle stress which is a highly common migraine trigger, have a sedative and refreshing effect on the mind, and help you fall asleep more easily. Boil a bucket of water and pour 3 drops of either lavender, jasmine, peppermint or rosemary oil into it. Throw a towel over your head and inhale the steam. You should feel better soon.
3. Ginger to Chew or Drink
Ginger is another natural remedy has been used to relieve headaches for ages. Modern studies too suggest that ginger may be an effective Ayurvedic medicine for migraine, since it can reduce headache-causing muscle contractions and inflammation, as well as treat other migraine symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and an upset stomach. As soon as you sense the onset of a migraine, grab a piece of ginger and chew on it. Or, you could brew yourself a cup of ginger tea by adding a few pieces to a cup of water. You could also add honey to taste if you’re not diabetic.
4. Various Yoga Poses
Yoga has proven to be a powerful part of Ayurvedic migraine treatment programs, since it changes the brain’s chemistry. Yoga poses and Pranayama can get to the various root causes of migraine like stress and hormonal imbalance. From a trained expert, learn poses such as:
- Corpse pose (Savasana)
- Head to knee pose (Janusirasana)
- Downward dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Bridge pose (Setu Bandhasana)
- Standing forward bend (Paschimottanasana)
- Brahmi Pranayama (Bee breathing)
5. Ayurvedic Treatment Programs
Ayurvedic treatment for migraine could include various programs like Shirodhara, Sneha Nyasa and Shirolepa.
- Shirodhara pacifies Pitta and Vata, and deeply relaxes the nervous system with oils, buttermilk or cow milk.
- Shirolepa pacifies Pitta and releases stress as well as fatigue from the body and mind with herbal pastes and medicated oils.
- Sneha Nasya relieves pain and relaxes the nerves using oils.
Diet and Lifestyle Tips
Your migraine Ayurvedic treatment would work best when you follow the right lifestyle and eat wholesome food. This goes a long way in avoiding triggers.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Avoid processed, caffeinated, pungent, and fried food.
- Eat at regular timings.
- Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep everyday.
- Go to bed at regular timings.
- Simplify your routine to eliminate stress as much as possible.
- Don’t skip meals.