Tummy woes, especially due to gas, are quite common in babies. If you find your little one crying uncontrollably, burping a lot, kicking in the air and with a hard tummy, it’s time to tackle some digestive problems. In this article, you’ll learn about how to cure baby digestion problems arising from excess gas with natural ingredients and techniques. You’ll also find tips to prevent it from happening in the future. Read on!
How to Deal with Baby Digestion Problems Caused by Gas
1. Move the Legs in Round Motions.
This one is a simple way to relieve excess gas in your newborn that can reduce discomfort as well as calm them down. Just hold the feet and move them in circular motions, like when pedaling a bicycle. You can do this around 5 times a day. And after the baby digestion problems have gone, you can continue this to keep them from reoccurring.
2. Massage Them with Mustard Oil.
Mustard oil is a valued Ayurvedic ingredient that works rather well in improving infant digestion. It provides the body with moisture, improves blood circulation, as well as stimulates the passage of gas out of the body. Here’s what you have to do: warm up some mustard oil and then, gently rub in on your little one’s navel in circular motions. You can also gently massage the rest of the baby – this will help them calmly drift off to sleep.
3. Apply a Warm Towel.
Heat can get rid of your infant’s gas problem as well as excellently relieve pain and bloating. Simply warm up some water and dip a clean towel into it. Next, check whether the temperature is safe for your baby and then, squeeze out the water. Place this warm towel on your baby’s tummy. After the towel grows cooler, heat it back up and repeat the process. You can do it thrice a day.
4. Feed Them Digestion-Boosting Food.
Herbs and spices are great natural remedies for digestive problems in babies. You can try these:
- Ginger stimulates the digestive fire, relieves gas and bloating, and improves bowel movement. Add tiny pinches of ginger to the infant’s food.
- Cumin increases the secretion of digestive fluids in the body, thus promoting digestion. It has shown to prevent and cure flatulence. Feed the baby a glass of cumin water throughout the day, little by little. Add half a teaspoon of cumin seeds to a cup of water. Boil it and then cool it down.
- Cardamom is another effective spice for digestion. Simply put a little bit of it in your baby’s food to reduce gas.
- Asafoetida works extremely well to expel gas and relieve the uncomfortable symptoms of indigestion. Add a small pinch of the powder to a few tablespoons of water and rub it on the baby’s navel in circular motions.
Tips to Avoid Baby Digestion Problems
- While feeding the child, keep the head up straight.
- Remember to burp the baby immediately after every meal.
- Make sure that the hole in the bottle isn’t too big.
- Pay close attention to whether the formula you’re using agrees with your little one.
- Nursing mothers should avoid heavily spiced, processed, and gas-causing food like broccoli.