Honeysuckle a.k.a lonicera is a bell-shaped shrub found in Northern Asia, Russia, Northern Europe as well as Canada. Famous for its sweet fragrance and medicinal values, the honeysuckle plant greatly benefits the human body. It is available in several forms – including honeysuckle tea, honeysuckle oil, flower, berries, tinctures as well as dietary supplements.
- Tea: Wash some leaves and put them to a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for 5-8 minutes. Strain and drink daily or as recommended by an expert.
- Mouthwash: Repeat the preparation process of tea. Allow it to cool for some time and rinse your mouth with it after every meal. This maintains oral hygiene.
- Toner: Add a few drops of honeysuckle oil to a teaspoon of coconut oil. Dab a cotton ball in it. Apply it on your face and wash after 15 minutes.
1. The Honeysuckle Plant Relieves Gastric Issues.
2. It Reduces Headache.
Headaches caused by inflammatory diseases or infections are curable with honeysuckle oil. Its anti-inflammatory as well as antibacterial properties suppress the pain along with the actual cause.
3. It Strengthens Your Immunity.
Studies show that berries act as immunomodulators to increase natural killer cells. Therefore, drink a cup of honeysuckle tea once daily to boost your immune system.
4. It Prevents Bacterial Infections.
Use the plant in any form – tea, oil, powdered application or ingestion – it helps cure bacterial infections. Having anti-inflammatory properties and being rich in antioxidants, the plant’s usage protects the tissues and overall health of your body organs.
5. It’s Beneficial For Oral Health.
Due to their astringent qualities, some parts of this plant are used as an effective mouth wash. Boil half a cup of its leaves in two cups of water. Steep for 5 minutes and allow it to cool before rinsing your mouth.
6. It Regulates Blood Sugar Levels.
The plant helps maintain your blood sugar levels and can thus treat diabetes. Research shows that the anti-inflammatory properties of the honeysuckle plant significantly reduce diabetic neuropathy. Therefore, you can drink honeysuckle tea almost every day if you are diabetic – after consulting your doctor.
7. It Improves Your Skin’s Health.
Since this plant is antiseptic in nature, it cleanses as well as detoxifies the skin when applied topically. This prevents the development of blemishes, acne or skin rashes.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.