Onions are among the world’s most widely used and versatile vegetables. When you’re looking for something to add pungency and a stimulating fragrance to your food, onions will never let you down. These bulbs aren’t only meant for taste – here are some noteworthy onion health benefits and side effects.
Onion Health Benefits and Side Effects
1. They Boost Immunity.
Onions have been used to improve immunity for thousands of years; they’re a popular folk remedy for the flu. They improve the absorption of nutrients by the digestive system, which is vital for strong immunity. They provide your body with selenium, an essential mineral for protection against disease. Onions have also got powerful antioxidants like vitamin C and quercetin. And they also promote detoxification.
2. They Strengthen the Cardiovascular System.
Research confirms that onions are pretty good for your heart. They dilate blood vessels and improve blood circulation throughout the body. They’re great for regulating blood pressure. Moreover, these veggies boost the presence of HDL (good cholesterol) while lowering LDL (the bad kind). Include moderate amounts of onions in your diet to keep cardiovascular problems at bay.
3. They Regulate Blood Sugar.
If you are diabetic, onions deserve a place on your plate. Studies suggest that these flavourful little bulbs can cause a drop in the levels of blood glucose by increasing the levels of free insulin. Moreover, they’re low in calories as well as starch so they won’t contribute to weight gain – something that diabetics have to be careful about.
4. They Treat Respiratory Conditions.
Ayurvedic doctors may often advise using onions to treat inflammation in the body. These veggies are immensely beneficial for asthma patients since they are antibacterial in nature and produce antihistamine effects; they can be excellent for those who tend to have allergic reactions. When you have blocked sinuses, just include onions in your food. They are a natural decongestant.
5. They Improve the Digestive System.
While some people might face problems digesting food like onions, these veggies can also be great for digestion. They contain fibres that promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the intestines and heal diarrhoea. They prevent constipation as well as ulcers, and may also treat stomach worms.
A FEW SIDE EFFECTS…
- When it comes to cardiovascular health, there are onion health benefits and side effects as well. Take too much and you could end up with excess potassium in your body, leading to dangerously low blood pressure levels and hypotension. So, be careful if you already have low BP or are taking blood pressure reducing medication.
- Next, onions may not agree with your digestive system. Many people find them hard to digest. Excess can make you quite gassy, and cause heartburn, bloating, diarrhoea, and even vomiting. This is one of the reasons pregnant women should be careful about eating onions.
- Onions can help wound healing. But they don’t suit all skin types. So before using onion on your skin, watch out for signs of irritation, or allergic reactions. Onions have been found to produce redness and severe itchiness when used on sensitive skin. So, use very little at first and dilute it with water to be safe.
- If you have a bleeding disorder, you should be very careful about the amounts of onions you take since they cause thinning of blood and slow down the process of clotting.
- These bulbs also cause significant drops in the levels of blood glucose – so if you are diabetic, make sure that you consult your doctor regarding how much onion a day is safe for you.