Childhood obesity is a cause of concern across the world. The problem is rapidly expanding. A majority of kids gain excess weight, which exposes them to the risk of several sicknesses that disrupt life. Obese kids find it difficult to excel socially and physically because of the embarrassment and restrictions associated with weight. The causes of childhood obesity are various, but a major one is lack of exercise.
What Are The Causes Of Childhood Obesity?
- Genetics – Parents or other family members who are obese
- Poor diet – Eating fast food and irregularities in eating habits
- Stress – Stress due to education, social expectations or family problems
- Depression – Low performance at school or other causes like trauma
- Lack of physical activity – Not playing outdoors or participating in other activities involving movement
Childhood Obesity Prevention
1. Avoid Sugar & Artifical Sweeteners.
Sugar and artificial sweeteners increase body fat in kids as well as adults. They are unhealthy and processed. Thus, you may give your child fruits that contain natural sugar and avoid the bad stuff.
2. Provide Food In Moderate Proportions.
Childhood obesity occurs when the child eats more than what their body requires for energy. The metabolic rate also starts to slow down. Therefore, make sure you give them food in an amount which appropriate for their age.
3. Encourage Physical Activity.
Lack of physical activities is among the major causes of childhood obesity. Obese kids prefer playing games on mobile phones or indoors. So, you must always encourage them to make that needed shift. Not moving enough wrecks their Kapha balance.
4. Keep The Child Hydrated.
Staying hydrated is important. However, children often ignore it or forget to drink water. They get busy in games or television, and dehydration gradually causes several ailments. In some cases, it can also lead to fainting or low blood pressure.
5. Limit Fast Food Consumption.
Homemade food is more nutritious and hygienic than what’s available at McDonald’s. Fast food is often fried, cheesy, and spicy. Moreover, it’s packed with tans fats. Therefore, such a diet can weaken your child’s immunity and make them obese.
Childhood Obesity Diet
It is important that obese kids eat both vegetables as well as fruits, along with maintaining a proper exercise routine. Fasting is not appropriate for kids as it can lead to other diseases. So, provide them with healthier alternatives:
- Green leafy vegetables are a good source of minerals and vitamins.
- Lentils and legumes are must-have protein.
- Low-fat milk and yogurt are healthy for bone development.
- Whole grain bread does not add on to extra kilos.
- Citrus and high water-containing fruits are beneficial.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.