Sarvangasana is a posture where your whole body is balanced on your shoulders. Hence the name shoulder stand. This yoga pose is a part of and as beneficial as a Headstand also called Sirsasana. Sarvangasana benefits help you maintain a healthy equilibrium of your mind and coordination in the body.
How To Do Sarvangasana (The Shoulder Stand)?
- Comfortably lie down on a yoga mat.
- Start to raise your lower body towards the upside.
- Balance your legs, buttocks, and back correctly on your shoulders.
- Take the help of your hands to support your back with the elbows down on the ground.
- The pose should be such that the legs and spine are straightened and the weight of the body is on your shoulders.
- Point your toes up towards the ceiling and do not allow pressure on your neck.
- Try and stay in the position for about 30 seconds without coming down with a jerk.
- When you want to relax, slowly lower your knees and let your hands rest aside.
- Gradually bring the spine down on the ground and then let your legs touch the floor.
- Rest for a minute or two.
1. Healthy Growth
The Sarvangasana benefits your thyroid and the parathyroid glands. It also energizes the pituitary and pineal glands which are responsible for the growth and development of your body.
2. Flexible Spine
This asana helps in strengthening your arms and the shoulders along with making the spine flexible. When the body is raised upwards, the spine becomes straight and your shoulders carry the weight of the body making it sturdier each time.
3. Blood Circulation
When the body is in an inverse state, blood circulation increases and it easily moves from the legs to your heart. The oxygenated blood also reaches the brain, promoting better mental health.
4. Heart Health
Your heart muscles tend to stretch when there’s enhanced blood flow. So, what could be better than a healthy brain along with a healthy heart?
5. Improved Digestive Health
6. Relief In Asthma
When the blood is circulated to your chest area while performing this asana, it provides relief from problems like asthma and bronchitis.
7. Fights Insomnia
The Sarvangasana promotes a healthy brain functioning which then leads to a more relaxed mental state. When your mind feels relaxed, it increases the chances of having sound sleep.
Note: This article is solely for the purpose of sharing information. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So before using anything to treat yourself, always consult your doctor.