What is ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder? It is a psychiatric disorder that primarily affects kids in the age group of 6-12 years, but can also continue into adulthood. Such people exhibit a lapse of attention along with having an impulsive behavior. This gradually starts to affect even their daily activities. Apart from over-the-counter medications, Ayurvedic remedies for ADHD are also helpful
Signs And Symptoms Of ADHD
- Lack of attention
- Trouble in organizing tasks
- Does not listen when spoken to directly
- Easily gets distracted or bored
- Acts hyper and is often on-the-go
- Sitting still can be difficult
- Fidgety in nature
- Difficulty in following instructions
- Even simple information cannot be processed
Natural Remedies For ADHD
1. Adopt A Vata-Pacifying Lifestyle
In Ayurveda, Vata imbalance makes a person prone to anxiety, restlessness, unattentiveness and sleep disorders. Vata people have a highly sensitive nervous system. So, stimulating activities keep them in-line with their routine. Try these:
- Practice a 10-minute everyday meditation session with the patient.
- Bring about regularity and a structure in one’s routine.
- Counter the chaotic nature with relaxing activities that make them gratefully accept each day.
- Let them get a full body massage thrice every week to calm their senses.
- Prepare food with love. Cook fresh vegetables, serve whole grains, add moderate amounts of proteins and use unrefined oils or clarified butter.
- Limit the usage of video games, television or smartphones. Constant radiation exposure leads to disturbed sleeping patterns, headache, fatigue, as well as the inability to focus. So, schedule regular timeouts.
The purpose of choosing such alternative healing treatments is to make the patient feel grounded, loved and nourished. So, be cooperative and creative.
2. Herbs To Cure ADHD
To make an ADHD patient feel better and calm from within, there are certain herbs that can prove useful.
- Brahmi treats an array of mental disorders and improves the cognitive along with intellectual functioning.
- Ashwagandha is another effective Ayurvedic treatment for ADHD. It stimulates the neurological growth and also pacifies the imbalanced Vata.
- Shankpushpi is an excellent choice for curing the signs and symptoms of ADHD. It improves the presence of mind and also keeps the mind calm even in unfavorable circumstances.
- Use herbs like chamomile, passion flower, and lavender to calm their mind. (Consult your Ayurvedic doctor for the exact dosage.)
3. Ayurvedic Therapies For ADHD
Go for an Ayurvedic body massage using the finest herbs as well as essential oils to calm the physical tensions. This can easily get rid of excess Vata and relax their mind and body. A soothing foot massage every day will also do wonders.
Even Nasya can be administered to help clean the entire internal system. A mixture of Ayurvedic medicines and herbal oils is passed through the nose which nourishes different channels of the body and also helps aid the brain’s functioning.
Note: This article is solely for the purpose of sharing information. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult your doctor.