Vertigo is a neurological disorder that makes you feel like your head – or the entire world around you – is spinning. Vertigo can have some pretty serious consequences, like double vision, accidents arising from loss of balance, hearing loss, and even permanent brain impairment. It’s mainly caused by ear disorders like labyrinthitis; but a range of other things could cause it, like migraines, cardiovascular conditions, and even certain kinds of medication. Ayurveda terms vertigo as ‘bhrama’. In this article, we’ll talk about Ayurvedic medicine for vertigo and share some important diet tips.
Ayurvedic Medicine for Vertigo
1. Ginkgo Biloba
On the top of our list is this thoroughly researched herb. Ginkgo biloba treats many brain conditions, boosts blood flow to the brain and ears, makes blood vessels healthier, treats tinnitus, and even improves memory. All of this makes ginkgo biloba an excellent Ayurvedic medicine for vertigo – it has proved highly effective in eliminating the sysmptoms of vertigo and bringing balance to your body and mind. You can take it as a supplement. Doctors generally prescribe a larger dose and then, go on reducing the dosage as the condition improves.
2. Ginger Tea
Ginger is another well researched herb with potent medicinal properties. It boosts immunity, improves blood circulation in the brain, and relieves vertigo symptoms like nausea and headache. So when you experience bouts of vertigo, keep ginger handy. The remedy is easy to make: simply add ginger to a cup of water and boil it for 5 minutes. Then, pour it into a cup and add a bit of pure, organic honey (just for sweetening). Drink it warm a couple of times a day. If you can’t make tea, chewing on a piece of ginger works just as well.
3. Almond and Watermelon Milk
Widely used in Ayurvedic treatment for vertigo, almond and watermelon are thought to offer significant relief during bouts of vertigo. Here’s what you need to do:
- Soak 10 almonds, 10 watermelon seeds, 1 teaspoon of poppy seeds and 2 teaspoons of wheat grain in water until the next morning.
- Then, drain out the water and crush them all into a paste.
- Next, fry 2 cloves in ghee and add the paste to the pan.
- Mix it all well, and add the paste in a cup of milk.
- Finally, boil the milk and drink it warm.
You can take this natural medicine over a course of a week to 10 days.
4. Coriander and Gooseberry
Both coriander and gooseberry are valued ingredients that can be used in Ayurvedic treatment for vertigo. They may provide relief when the symptoms of vertigo appear. All you have to do is:
- Soak 1 teaspoon each of gooseberry powder and coriander powder in a cup of water.
- Next morning, strain and pour the water into a glass and drink it on an empty stomach.
- To sweeten it, you could add a wee bit of pure honey.
It provides results over a few weeks.
Diet rules are a super important part of vertigo treatment in Ayurveda. Follow these suggestions for better healing:
- Fruits with high water content, like watermelon
- Citrus fruits like kiwis
- Nuts like almonds
- Poppy seeds
- Drink loads and loads of water
- Celery juice
- Leafy vegetables
- Protein rich food
- Excess salt
- Refined sugar
- Caffeinated drinks like tea
- Fried food
- Oily food
- Processed food
- Frozen food
Lastly, remember to eliminate stress from your life as much as possible. If you smoke, quit it and detoxify your lungs. Have a simple, clutter-free lifestyle. Practice yoga and meditation. And make sure you always get sound sleep.