Baby massage is essential for both the infant as well as mother. This essential effort not only improves their communication but also promotes better growth of the little one. But exactly how to massage a baby and what are the benefits of infant massage? Let us tell you!
Infant Massage Benefits
- Enhances blood circulation
- Develops awareness and sensitivity
- Aids in achieving sound sleep
- Allows a bond between the child and the parent
- Relaxes the baby and improves digestion
- Promotes better bone growth
- Relieves gas, colic and teething problems
Oils To Use For Baby Massage
1. Use Almond Oil.
It has vitamins E, A, B1, B6 and antioxidants that are all good for the baby’s skin as well as hair. Use it regularly for newborn baby massage.
Also Read: 5 Amazing Almond Oil Benefits For Beauty
2. Try Mustard Oil.
Since it’s warming in nature, the oil protects your baby in winters and also boosts the immune system.
3. Sesame Oil Is Beneficial.
The oil is antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory. So, a daily infant massage will guard the baby against diseases caused by bacteria or toxins.
4. Castor Oil Is Soothing.
Castor oil moisturizes the skin of the infant. It also secures the child from constipation.
How To Massage A Baby?
Follow these steps on how to massage a baby. Infant massage is easy, you just need to be careful in handling your little one.
Step 1. Begin With The Lower body.
Take a few drops of the oil and warm it up naturally by rubbing it between your palms. Start with the feet. Gently rub the oil on the baby’s soles and toes. Massage using thumbs. Move up, gently rub the calves and thighs. Slightly press the area. Massage the arms in the same manner.
Step 2. Proceed To The Center.
Now, place both your hands flat in the center of the body and move them towards the sides. Use your fingertips to stroke in an outward circular motion. Stop when the baby signs of discomfort or irritability.
Step 3. The Head Is Equally Important.
Place your index finger in the middle of the forehead. Gently stroke along the outline of the face. After reaching the chin, lightly stroke the cheeks. Now, massage the head as if shampooing the hair.
Step 4. End With A Back Massage.
Turn the baby around and massage his back. Begin from the upper back by stroking in circulatory motion with fingertips and end at the buttocks.
Things To Remember
- Be comfortable and willing to give a message. Do it when you have no other work to do and also when the baby feels comfortable.
- Place a towel beneath the baby to absorb the excess oil.
- Make sure the room is well ventilated in summers and warm during winters.
- The room should be luminous.
- Choose unscented essential oils for baby massage.
- Start by rubbing the back of the ears or the tummy – if the baby cries, stop.
- Never press hard as the baby’s skin is tender and sensitive.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.