Pink eye is no fun. There is constant tearing and itchiness felt in your eye which certainly goes on your nerves. Pink eye, also called as conjunctivitis, is a highly contagious eye infection. It affects your well-being even before the symptoms show up. Moreover, it stays for around 10 days. This is what you must know about the conjunctivitis symptoms, what causes pink eye or conjunctivitis and the conjunctivitis treatment.
What Causes Pink Eye Or Conjunctivitis?
- Infection – bacterial or viral
- Allergic reaction
- Irritants – Eyelashes, dust mites or pollen
What Are The Conjunctivitis Symptoms?
- Light sensitivity
- Blurry vision
- Unusual liquid discharge
- Eyelid swelling
- Viral or bacterial infections
- Burning sensation
- Sticky eyelashes
Conjunctivitis Treatment (Home Remedies)
1. Use Holy Basil Leaves For Conjunctivitis Treatment
Holy basil, also called tulsi, is an effective treatment for conjunctivitis. It has soothing and anti-inflammatory properties to protect your eyes from free radicals and environmental damage. Boil some basil leaves in water for about 10 minutes and prepare an eyewash for conjunctivitis treatment. You don’t have to pour the liquid in your eyes, but just it on your eyes with cotton pads as a compress.
2. Green Tea Is An Effective Conjunctivitis Treatment
The bioflavonoids present in green tea help relieve the inflammation and also effectively fight off the infection. Use a green tea bag that’s dipped in hot water and place it on the infected eye. Use it as a warm compress and cure the eye condition.
3. Need A Guaranteed Conjunctivitis Treatment? Try Warm Milk & Honey
Take equal parts of warm milk and mix it with honey. Keep stirring until you achieve a smooth consistency and use it like an eye drop several times a day. It’s an antibacterial solution that soothes the symptoms of conjunctivitis and also clears them up quickly.
4. Salt Eyewash Combats Conjunctivitis
Known for its antiseptic properties, salt helps treat pink eye. Add a tsp salt in a cup of boiling water, distilled preferably. Let it cool and dissolve the salt completely. Squirt the same with an eyedropper and it will relieve the conjunctivitis symptoms after a few repetitions.
5. Preventive Measures For Conjunctivitis Or Pink Eye Treatment
- Do not share your personal products like towel or makeup.
- Cough or sneeze with your mouth covered.
- Avoid excessively rubbing your eyes.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Never share your contact lenses.
- Carry a hand disinfected to eliminate the risk of contracting bacteria.
- When you experience seasonal allergies, observe if the symptoms get severe.
- Protect your eyes from the harmful microorganisms present in swimming water.
- Wash your eyes with different washing cups. Check this Triphala eye wash in case you want to improve your vision.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.