Earwax is a sticky as well as a moist substance that essentially protects your ear canal from harmful bacteria, dirt, water or any environmental allergens. However, upon accumulation, earwax removal becomes absolutely necessary.
The glands present inside the ear canal produce a dark earwax made up of dead skin cells, cholesterol, fatty acids, squalene, lysozyme, and antibacterial enzymes. Although the ear canal has a self cleaning process, absence or excess of earwax can be problematic. Usage of cotton swabs or bobby pins have been a popular way of getting rid of the buildup, but you need to be very cautious with them. Other easy home remedies for earwax removal can safely be executed.
What Causes Earwax Blockage?
- Excessive hair
- Unhygienic conditions
- Narrow ear canal
- Less skin elasticity
- Frequent earphone/hearing aid usage
What Are Earwax Buildup Symptoms?
- Difficult in hearing
- Ear pain
- Ringing or buzzing sounds in the ear
- Discharge or odor from the ear
- Fullness in the ear
The Cleaning Process
- Soak a cotton ball in the earwax remover solution or simply use a dropper for assistance.
- Tilt your head in a way that the targeted ear faces upwards.
- Put a few drops of the mix inside the ear.
- Stay in the position for about 3-5 minutes.
- Tilt your head to drain excess solution from the ear.
- Clean with a cotton or soft cloth and repeat on the other side.
Home Remedies For Earwax Removal
1. Salt Water Removes Earwax.
Salt water easily dissolves the earwax and it’s one of the best home remedies for earwax removal. Simply add one teaspoon salt in half a cup of warm water, soak a cotton ball and let it sit inside the ear for 15 minutes after which you can gently clean the wax with a bud.
2. Coconut Oil Cleans Dark Earwax Buildup.
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer. It contains fatty acids as well as antimicrobial substances. Therefore, putting some drops in your ears every day will soften the wax for easy removal without causing any infection.
3. Use White Vinegar & Rubbing Alcohol For Earwax Removal.
Since vinegar is antimicrobial and alcohol is a drying agent, the mixture will help prevent further dark earwax buildup.
4. Mullein Flower Oil Softens Dark Earwax.
As mullein flowers are antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory in nature, they are among the best home remedies for ear waxremoval. Therefore, add mullein flowers in a jar with some olive oil and let it sit under sunlight for a fortnight. Strain the oil, store in a clean bottle, warm a little every day, and use it with a dropper.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.