Hoarseness is a state in which one’s voice changes abnormally. It may sound strained or the loudness and pitch may change. In Ayurveda, hoarseness is called “Swarabheda” and in medical terms, it is known as laryngitis. A person with hoarseness may also suffer from a coated tongue, burning sensation in the throat or pain while swallowing food. The condition makes it difficult to speak. But, these home remedies for hoarseness can help ease the situation.
What Are The Causes Of Hoarseness?
1. Stress on the vocal cord due to overuse – speaking loudly and for a long time can cause hoarseness.
2. Viral infections affect the throat which leads to hoarseness in the voice. It is temporary in case of a common cold, but, if not treated properly then it could lead to even more damage in the future.
3. Smoking also harms the throat, since the throat is the passage for the smoke to travel to the lungs. Smoke from a cigarette or any other kind of smoke leaves an extremely harmful impact.
4. Allergies are observed in the form of sneezing and cough. It affects the nose and the throat together.
5. Neurological disorders and thyroid problems can also cause hoarseness.
Natural Home Remedies for Hoarseness
1. Licorice Is Beneficial.
Licorice has anti-inflammatory properties which will soothe the burning sensation in your throat. Boil the roots of licorice and brew up a healthy tea. This will heal your broken raspy voice.
2. Ginger Tea Cures the Condition.
Drink warm ginger tea at least twice a day to observe better changes in your voice. Ginger tea will bring your voice back to its normal state. It is amongst the best natural home remedies for hoarseness and to cure a cold and cough.
3. Steam Is Amongst The Best Home Remedies For Hoarseness.
Inhale steam twice every day as it helps clear your throat of any mucus or infection. It will also cure the hoarseness of the voice and you will feel better after each steam session. Use eucalyptus or tea tree oil to add to the steam water.
4. Sage Herb Decoction Is Effective.
The sage herb has a lot of medicinal value. It can treat tonsillitis as well as sore gums. The herb is also used in treating cold. Sage is normally used as a seasoning herb. But, you can add the leaves to your salad or prepare a decoction.
5. Honey and Lemon Are Healing Ingredients.
Honey and lemon are two versatile ingredients that can do wonders in treating a lot of diseases. Taking lemon juice and honey each morning reduces weight and it also heals the throat.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.