Lemon balm or the Melissa Officinalis (botanical name) belongs to the mint family. It is a short plant with yellow flowers with a sweet aroma which are therefore used in aromatherapy. Regular lemon balm uses leave an anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antispasmodic, analgesic as well as antioxidative effect on the body. Therefore, lemon balm benefits are immense and it helps you build up the immune system.
Lemon Balm Uses
- Herbal Tea: Boil one cup of water and add some fresh lemon balm leaves. Steep the tea for about 10 minutes. Strain and drink daily.
- Essential Oil: Add a few drops of lemon balm essential oil in one tablespoon of coconut oil. Apply the mix to soothe any sores.
- Leaf Paste: Grind 8-10 lemon balm leaves and apply directly on bug bites or any wounds.
- Herbal Bath: Add 5-8 drops of lemon balm essential oil with one tablespoon of Epsom salt in a bucket of warm water. Soak for 20 minutes.
Lemon Balm Benefits
1. Lemon Balm Is Beneficial For Your Stomach.
Gastrointestinal problems like acidity, flatulence, indigestion are curable with lemon balm. The tea prepared with lemon balm leaves help remove waste from the body and prove to be a potent detox. Excess use can, however, induce lemon balm side effects.
2. Say Goodbye To Muscle Pain!
Lemon balm benefits to ease muscle spasm since it’s an antispasmodic. It helps cure any associated pains as it possesses eugenol which shows analgesic properties.
3. Cleans Stubborn Pores.
Your skin every day gets affected by UV exposure as well as pollution. Open pores, acne, and dark spots are common signs. Lemon balm uses help heal the skin along with other inflammations.
4. Relax & Sleep Well With Lemon Balm.
Studies have shown that lemon balm contains sedative properties. It helps calm your nerves and also relaxes the body muscles. Therefore, even people suffering from insomnia benefit from lemon balm uses. But, make sure to not use the same in higher concentrations to prevent any lemon balm side effects.
5. Prevent Radiation Damage.
Radiation is harmful but also necessary for certain types of treatment like chemotherapy. However, regular lemon balm uses help relieve the discomforts associated with radiation exposure. Lemon balm benefits by reducing the side effects.
6. Get Rid Of Cold Sores.
Since lemon balm is antiviral in nature, it helps kill the harmful viruses as well as bacteria. Therefore, cold sores from herpes are treatable with this plant.
Lemon Balm Side Effects
The following lemon balm side effects occur upon over or long-term use of the herb.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.