The state of being conscious about our inner self as well as the surroundings isn’t just necessary for adults, but it’s also beneficial for kids. Like how Value or Physical Education are important additions to a kid’s schooling, teaching him or her about being mindful is another important aspect. Several educational institutes are now incorporating yoga and meditation for kids into their curriculum.
Do Kids Need To Meditate?
Kids are restless. Their energies are unmatchable. And, very much like us, kids too face everyday challenges like performance pressure, competition, peer pressure, difficulty in focusing, low self-esteem, anger, anxiety, and so much more. Even without your knowledge, your kid might already be facing mental turmoil. But, mindfulness and meditation for kids can definitely make a difference. It’s a very powerful tool that can help kids face any kinds of challenges in the most appropriate manner.
Guided Meditation For Kids – Tips & Tricks
Kids are a little impatient. It’s not easy to still their wandering minds. They have a shorter span of attention, are more playful, and therefore sitting still also gets difficult for them. So, here are a few tips on guided meditation for kids:
1. Help them engage. Make it a fun and pleasant activity, something that they’ll want to do again.
2. Invoke their creativity and challenge their imagination. Playing the statues game is one way of practicing stillness.
3. Keep it simple and short. The session must not get boring.
4. Ever observed how easily kids start imitating your behaviour? That’s the easiest way to teach them. Increase their curiosity. Get their eyes on you. Lead by an example – family meditation sessions can be a great start!
5. Keep asking them about their personal experiences. Help them express their emotions.
6. Meditation for children must not leave them unhappy. Support their viewpoints and validate whatever they share.
7. Meditation with music is fun. You can never go wrong with calming nature sounds.
8. Get low on your own expectations. Meditation for kids doesn’t focused on making them mini Buddhas, rather, it promotes stillness.
Benefits Of Meditation For Kids
1. Mindfulness For Kids Improves Their Behaviour.
Mindful meditation helps quiet the unruly mind. When guided through the process with utmost care and attention, a child’s behavior can improve significantly.
2. It Enhances Their Concentration.
Once the mind is calm and free from anxiety, it’s able to focus better. Growing up with noses dug into gadgets isn’t what we want for our kids. Therefore, meditation for kids helps them gain clarity of thoughts and explore the unexplored fields of imagination.
3. Mindfulness For Kids Helps Develop Confidence.
Being a kid isn’t easy. Several insecurities that linger in adulthood can be traced back to childhood difficulties. Therefore, an everyday session of guided meditation for kids can help strengthen feelings of belongingness, compassion, and confidence.
4. It Enhances Their Performance.
Be it at school or in other activities, kids get better at their performance. Mindfulness is like attaining a constant state of happiness where kids understand how things function. From a kid’s perspective, it can be a great concept.
5. Pressure Stresses Them Less.
Stress is a part and parcel of life. It’s just that adults have different matters to deal, with whereas kids have their own set of issues. Mindfulness for kids makes them focused, aware and of a participatory nature. It makes kids happier, understanding, and more in control.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.