Do you like sour foods? The sour taste is certainly not everyone’s favourite, but it is one among the six tastes that form a balanced Ayurvedic diet. Today, we’re going to tell you all about it.
Effects Of The Sour Taste On The Doshas
The sour taste is governed by earth and fire. Its nature is hot, oily, light, and lubricating. Due to these properties, the sour flavor pacifies Vata while aggravating Pitta and Kapha. Yet, Pittas and Kaphas need not eliminate it from their diet unless there is severe aggravation – just favour other tastes and enjoy sour stuff in moderation.
Examples Of Sour Foods
The sour taste can be widely found in fruits and fermented foods. Here are some examples of what foods are sour:
- Sour cream
- Sourdough bread
Benefits Of The Sour Taste
- The sour flavor is excellent for digestion. It boosts appetite, aids the secretion of digestive juices, and increases salivation.
- Sour items provide the body with heat as well as lubrication.
- They also amplify the strength of other tastes like salty and pungent.
- Sour foods improve metabolism as well as facilitate bowel movement.
- They are also good for the liver – they boost the flow of bile juice and support liver function.
- Sour food items remove excess gas from the body, and therefore reduce Vata.
- They have a refreshing effect on the body and mind. Think of freshly squeezed lemon added to any savoury dish. It enlivens the senses.
- Sour food energises the body.
- Fermented foods like kombucha, yogurt, and kefir promote the growth of good bacteria in the gut.
- With its immense benefit to the digestive system, the sour taste is considered very good for immunity. Proper balance of gut bacteria has even found to be essential for sound mental health.
Effects Of Excess Sour Food Items
- Eating too much of food with a sour flavor can provoke Pitta and Kapha.
- In excess, it increases acidity in the body. It can worsen or cause ulcers, rashes, heartburn, and acne as a result.
- Sour food items in high quantities increase chest congestion.
- It can harm the reproductive system.
- The sour flavor should be avoided by those with Pitta related itching and/or burning, since it can worsen the condition.
- Excess can lead to disorders of the blood.
- It may also lead to increased thirst.
- Those suffering from hot flashes should avoid sour stuff.
Note: Posts on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness about natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.