Ayurveda considers breakfast an extremely important meal. If you’re bored of your sweet oatmeal, why not experiment with some savoury oats recipes? This oatmeal recipe makes use Ayurvedic spices that balance all doshas, boost strength, and improve digestion. Being a whole grain, oatmeal classifies as a satvik food – meaning that it is ideal for health. There are tons of oatmeal benefits. It’s packed with nutrients like fibre, iron, copper, and magnesium. It helps with many things like weight loss, digestion, heart health, blood sugar control, and even sound sleep! Here’s how to make savoury oatmeal, Ayurvedic style.
Ayurvedic Oatmeal Recipe
What you’ll need:
- 1.5 cup organic cow milk (those with Kapha dosha can use goat milk)
- 2/3 cup oat flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- ½ inch chopped ginger
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1-2 tbsp raisins
What to do:
- Bring the milk to a boil along with ginger, cumin, turmeric, and cardamom.
- Add the oatmeal and cook for around 10 minutes.
- Turn down the heat and let it simmer for another 5-8 minutes. You may add water to adjust the consistency to your liking.
- Pour into a bowl and then, sprinkle coriander leaves and raisins.
You’re now ready to reap the wonderful Ayurvedic oatmeal benefits!
Note: Posts on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness about natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.