Virabhadrasana or the Warrior pose 3 in yoga has been named after a Hindu mythological warrior who was a powerful incarnation of Lord Shiva. He is depicted as a tall and dark man who has a thousand arms, heads and flaming eyes. He personifies fierce power. Hence, the yoga pose is designed to enhance your vitality and make you appreciate the innate ability to build strength and stability.
What Are The Virabhadrasana Steps?
- Stand straight with your arms on the sides and feet hip-distance apart. Stay calm and breathe slowly. Be aware of the moment you are in.
- Step your left foot back and get your body weight on the right leg that’s facing forward.
- Rest your hands on your waist and start to raise your left leg as you lean your torso downward to get your left leg and torso parallel to the ground. This shifts your spine into a correct alignment.
- There’s an extended lengthening of your body contracting all the core muscles.
- Release your hands and reach out forward to get parallel to the ground.
- Try to retain the balance for about 30-60 seconds.
- And to release the pose, inhale and relax your left leg onto the ground with your arms along the sides.
- Once you’ve recollected your energy, repeat the same with the right leg!
What Are The Benefits Of Virabhadrasana 3 (Warrior Pose 3)?
1. Physical Benefits:
The Warrior pose 3 is all about maintaining and sustaining your physical self. It works on developing the required balance as well as stability.
Virabhadrasana 3 yoga asana strengthens your back and the shoulders, ankles, hamstrings, and calves. It also tones your abdominal muscles.
Your posture improves, which also encourages better full-body coordination. Your legs get a great workout as they are responsible to balance your body weight. You hold your upper body straight along with engaging the lower body muscles.
This yoga pose stabilizes all your core muscles to bring about a better clarity in terms of developing a connection between your mind and the body.
It helps aid faster weight loss mechanism and relieves your digestive disorders. And it even improves the spinal alignment.
2. Mental Benefits:
Despite being a bit challenging, the Warrior pose 3 provides immense mental benefits. The pose boosts your concentration levels as well as the nervous system’s functioning. You learn to stay calm even while facing difficulties during the pose. Rather than concentrating on the physical discomforts, you master the art of positive thinking. You train your brain to stay focused and relaxed.
3. Emotional Benefits:
While doing the Warrior pose 3, the urge the escape the discomfort of the pose are sure to arise. It challenges you beyond your means. Beginners might want to give up, but that’s the beauty of any yoga asana – yoga wants you to concentrate and not give up. No yoga posture makes you suffer but heals from within.
With time, you’ll learn to stay emotionally poised even while being in the midst of challenges. You learn to control your emotions and bring about a fine balance without having to react unnecessarily.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.
Photo credit: yogatoday.com