Anulom Vilom essentially focuses on the lungs to separate oxygen from the air we breathe as well as eliminate carbon dioxide while exhalation. The Anulom Vilom pranayam technique helps cleanse the body of harmful toxins. Plus, Anulom Vilom brings balance in the mind as well as the body.
What Is Anulom Vilom?
Anulom Vilom is a pranayam that majorly focuses on breathing perfectly. It is an alternate nostril breathing exercise. The exercise falls under Hasth Pranayam, which involves the use of hands. Your thumb, index, and middle finger are used to cover the nostrils during the process. This helps pacify the aggravated Vata, Pitta as well as Kapha doshas.
What Are The Anulom Vilom Steps?
- The first step is to sit on the ground in Padmasana (Lotus Pose) or Sukhasana (Easy Pose). Keep your spine straight, eyes closed, and hands on your knees.
- Now, take your right hand and close the right nostril with your right thumb. Inhale oxygen from your left nostril as much as you can.
- After inhaling, remove the thumb from the right nostril and cover the left nostril with the middle finger.
- Exhale the oxygen you inhaled from the right nostril. Focus your attention on the breathing process.
- Again, inhale from the right nostril by covering the left nostril. Exhale the oxygen from the left nostril while covering the right nostril with your thumb.
- Repeat the process 3 to 4 times. Increase or decrease the number of times you breathe according to your comfort.
What Are The Anulom Vilom Benefits?
1. Anulom Vilom Improves Heart Health.
Anulom Vilom pranayam encourages better blood circulation in the body. Deep inhalation and long exhalation allow the oxygen to effectively flow in the blood and expel carbon dioxide. When blood circulation improves, heart diseases stay away.
2. Anulom Vilom Pranayam Benefits In Respiratory Problems.
Anulom Vilom pranayam helps flush out the toxins from your blood as well as the lungs. It has shown positive results in patients facing problems like asthma and bronchitis. The practice of Anulom Vilom also strengthens your lungs and ensures proper functioning.
3. Depression Can Be Fought With Anulom Vilom.
The inhalation and exhalation in Anulom Vilom pranayam help fight mental issues like depression. Anulom Vilom benefits in stress reduction, anxiety issues as well as channeling positive thoughts in the mind. The focus remains on breathing well, which helps calm the mind and control negative thoughts.
4. Anulom Vilom Benefits Include Higher Concentration Levels.
The Anulom Vilom pranayam emphasizes on a better breathing process. It requires you to entirely focus on deep inhalation as well as exhalation. This is why it is an excellent exercise for improving your concentration levels.
You Can Also Read: 7 Anulom Vilom Pranayama Side Effects: An Ayurvedic View
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.