Your diet is crucial for metabolism and total well-being. So, the ultimate goal is to eat right and chuck out what’s bad. The right kind of food maximises nutrient absorption and aids better digestion. The wrong foods, on the other hand, can wreck complete havoc – these are foods to avoid on an empty stomach. Here are the foods to avoid on an empty stomach, along with a few you must definitely eat.
Foods To Avoid On An Empty Stomach
1. Spicy Foods
Chilies on an empty stomach can irritate the lining of your stomach and lead to severe cramping. Having spicy food on an empty stomach can trigger indigestion.
Starting your day with tea or coffee on an empty stomach is nothing unusual. A majority of us have been doing this since ages. But, least do we realize that it only destroys our sleep and cause severe acidity. So, caffeine is among the top foods to avoid on an empty stomach!
Don’t eat tomatoes first thing in the morning, since they lead to an upset stomach. They can react with the gastric juices and result in indigestion. Citric, oxalic and the malic acids make the situation worse for the empty stomach!
4. Processed Sugar
Anything sugary is oh-so-bad for your well being. Over-consumption of processed sweets on an empty stomach can damage your liver. Hence, you must say no to packaged juices and overly sweet smoothies. Ignore the donut craving at breakfast time, and have something healthy instead.
We don’t really pay attention to how much we consume when it’s just a bowl full of yogurt, right? But, yogurt is among the foods to avoid on an empty stomach as it can lead to bloating. Why? A highly acidic empty stomach renders the benefits of yogurt bacteria ineffective and causes discomfort.
What To Eat On An Empty Stomach?
- Papaya on an empty stomach is a great way for a total detox. It also eventually leads to healthy weight loss.
- Warm water with honey is an essential empty stomach drink. It flushes out all the harmful toxins.
- A tablespoon of chia seeds everyday helps you stay full. Soak them overnight and have them first thing next morning.
- Watermelon on an empty stomach proves gentle for your system. It keeps you hydrated all day long and even controls cravings.
- Oatmeal is another healthy option that aids digestion and also lowers cholesterol.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.