Onychomycosis, especially pertaining to the toenail is a common fungal condition that’s categorized by a swollen toe, inflammation, nail thickening as well as crumbling. But, what causes nail fungus? It results due to an abnormal pH level of the skin, prolonged exposure to moisture, compromised immunity and or poor food hygiene. Want to know more about the toenail fungus symptoms along with natural remedies for toenail fungus? Keep reading further!
What Causes Nail Fungus?
- Poor blood circulation
- Old age
- Injuries (of the nail or the sin around)
- Weakened immunity
- Athlete’s foot
- Heavy sweating
- Mold or yeast
- Excessive swimming
What Are The Toenail Fungus Symptoms?
- Nails are thickened
- Yellow-white streaks appear
- Nails become crumbly and brittle
- Nail shape distorts
- Debris build up
- Foul smell
Natural Remedies For Toenail Fungus
1. Tea Tree Oil For Toenail Fungus
Antiseptic properties present in tea tree oil prove a great treatment for fungal infections. Mix some undiluted tea tree oil with olive oil and apply it to the affected area. Let the liquid stay for about 15-20 minutes, gently scrub the nail with a soft bristle toothbrush thereafter and wash off with room temperature water.
2. This Is How Oregano Oil Cures Toenail Fungus
The oregano herb has antifungal properties to treat the condition. Take a few oregano oil drops and mix with a carrier oil to dab on the nail that’s infected. You can also make your own oregano infused-oil as the herb is perennial and easy to grow.
3. Prevent Toenail Fungus With Garlic
Having antimicrobial and antifungal properties, toenail fungus can easily be treated with garlic. Simply place some crushed garlic cloves onto the affected area and gently secure it with a bandage for about 30 minutes. Do this every day and you’ll see a visible change in the condition.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar Is Universal For All Health Ailments
You can dip your toe in the solution of warm water and apple cider vinegar for at least 15 minutes and let them air dry after soaking. A rice flour and ACV scrub can also solve the purpose. It powerfully exfoliates the infected area and also the surrounding skin.
5. Have You Heard Of Snakeroot Extract? Try It For Toenail Fungus
This antifungal plant belongs to the sunflower family. And it’s an effective remedy against what causes nail fungus. When the extract is applied to the affected area twice a week for a month, it can absolutely cure the condition.
- Go for footwear that’s breathable.
- Wear sweat absorbent socks.
- Dry your feet well after bathing.
- Always wash your hands and feet.
- Keep your nails moisturized.
- Avoid layering up nail polishes.
- Regularly use antifungal powders
- Consume iron-rich foods to prevent brittle nails
- Vitamin D is also important for an overall well-being.
- Include sufficient proteins in your diet to support a healthy nail growth
- Go for pedicure and manicure (gentlemen too).
- Trim your nails straight across and keep the edges smooth.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.