The yoga life is a life of fitness. It’s a commitment to yourself for healthy as well as happy living. Yoga is for everyone including, the elderly. It has the power to benefit every person. Yoga for seniors is restorative, strengthening, stabilizing as well as healing. It gently helps cultivate a positive attitude. You just need to be willing enough to acquire the healing benefits.
Yoga For The Elderly – Things To Keep In Mind
- You can practice chair yoga for seniors.
- A daily 10-minute session also proves effective.
- Be well aware with each and every position to avoid any discomforts.
- Practice meditation and pranayama alongside to also strengthen your mind.
- Move your joints and stretch yourself a bit for that quick warm up.
- Repeat poses and do not hold them for long.
Yoga For Seniors – Restorative & Easy
1. Balasana (Child Pose)
Old age makes your body fragile. Not just your bones, but even the muscles build up tension. Therefore, to relieve the pressure, Balasana is the easiest yoga pose. It facilitates better body functioning, keeps dizziness away, and promotes deep breathing. It helps you enjoy a stress-free life. Just perform the pose in a comfortable seated position.
2. Tadasana (Seated Mountain Pose)
Yoga for seniors is incomplete without the Seated Mountain Pose. It works on the entire body. Engaging your feet, legs, abdomen, back as well as arms, this pose helps you relax overall. Practice it right before your meditation session and experience relief.
3. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
Once you master the technique, the pose helps you work on the body’s flexibility. Not just that – Bhujangasana also keeps your mood stable, improves bowel movements and maintains mobility.
4. Virabhadrasana (Warrior Pose)
This yoga pose is not just popular amongst the youth, but also the elderly. The pose helps you remain functional. The entire set is beneficial – Warrior pose 1, 2 and 3 help strengthen your body and open up your lungs for better breathing.
5. Salamba Bhujangasana (Sphinx Pose)
This is yet another easy and effective yoga pose for the elderly. It helps correct your spine, ease the abdomen and strengthen the chest muscles. It is relaxing, gives your body a good stretch and poses no major threat. The Sphinx pose benefits your body from top to toe.
6. Chair Yoga For The Elderly
The best option is chair yoga for seniors:
- Sit straight and comfortably on a chair. Start from one side – stretch towards the back reaching the edge of the chair. Repeat on the other side. You can also try stretching one of your arms reaching out to the opposite side of the chair and vice-versa.
- Practice the Tree pose (effective chair yoga for seniors) with a more supportive option. Balance with the help of a chair to make the pose more accessible as well as positive. It develops balance and works on your concentration levels.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.