One of the primary reasons for experiencing a nosebleed is the body’s excessive heat that causes an imbalance in the blood tissues. This leads to such an outbreak. It usually happens as an independent problem and is more prominent in kids during summers. Any kind of hypersensitivity can damage the internal lining of your nose to make it start bleeding profusely. However, there are several nosebleed or epistaxis treatments available. And here are 13 home remedies on how to stop a nosebleed. These remedies will also prevent the problem in the future.
- Aggravated pitta
- Excessive intake of spicy food
- Aggressively blowing nose
- Sinusitis, heart disease, rhinitis or hypertension
- Irritants in the air
- Low platelet count
- Vitamin K and C deficiency
How To Stop A Nosebleed? Here Are 14 Nosebleed Treatments!
1. One of the first and foremost ways to treat epistaxis is pouring cold water on the head of the person. Let the head be fully soaked so as to instantly stop nose bleeding.
2. Prepare a solution of borax powder and water to be applied to the nostrils for immediate relief.
3. Another effective nosebleed treatment at home is with white vinegar. Dab a cotton ball in white vinegar and cover up the nostril that’s bleeding.
4. When your nose is bleeding, don’t panic. Sit somewhere calmly and start breathing from your mouth instead of your nose.
5. Fry some dried amla (Indian gooseberry) in clarified butter. Thoroughly grind the mix and apply it to your forehead. This is amongst the best home remedies for nose bleeding!
6. With the help of your thumb and index finger, firmly pinch your nostrils to shut the way for bleeding. Immediately spit out the blood that may collect in your mouth to avoid the vomiting sensation.
7. You can also apply some ice wrapped in a cloth or towel to your nostrils and the other areas of your nose.
Need More Nosebleed Treatments at Home?
8. Try apple cider vinegar which helps control excessive blood loss. Soak a cotton ball in ACV and place it in your nostrils for about 10 minutes and this will heal the wounded blood vessels.
9. Make use of onion which is an anti-clotting agent. When you experience a nosebleed, immediately start sniffing a slice of onion. You can also put a few drops of onion juice in your nose to achieve an immediate effect.
10. Due to its cooling effect, coriander tends to prevent nose bleeding and other such allergies. So, fresh coriander juice can be applied to the inner lining of your nose as a sure-shot nosebleed treatment.
11. Stock up your fruit basket with a lot of oranges. Their vitamin C content stops the breakage of blood vessels over the time. It provides you with a long-term and consistent relief.
12. Keep your nasal passage moisturized every day by applying vitamin E capsule oil several times. With the help of your finger or a Q-tip, coat your nostrils and avoid dryness.
13. Lemon juice helps reduce infections as well as flaking. It’s acidic in nature and has an antiseptic effect to strengthen the blood capillaries that are very delicate to cause nose bleeding. So how to stop a nosebleed with lemon? Just trickle a few drops of lemon juice and this cures the problem.
Lifestyle and Dietary Changes
- How to stop a nosebleed? Control excessive smoking, alcohol and caffeine consumption.
- Include more vitamin rich foods in your diet.
- Increase the intake of vitamin K, C, and leafy green vegetables.
- If you want to know how to avoid a nosebleed then avoid spicy food. It keeps the body heat under control.
- Drink adequate amount of water each day.
- Practice Pranayam, a calming exercise that soothes your nervous system.
- Too much Sun exposure must be avoided.
- Humidify the air in your home to avoid dry climatic conditions.
Note: This article is solely for the purpose of sharing information. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So before using anything to treat yourself, always consult your doctor.