Manuka honey results from bees that pollinate on a specific flower species named Leptospermum scoparium. These flowers are known as the manuka bush, hence the name. Manuka honey is native to New Zealand and is often addressed as raw honey. The manuka honey health benefits are more than regular honey because of its antibacterial properties. Raw honey benefits in all the conditions that are a consequence of bacterial growth like infections, fever, sore throat, oral decay, ulcers, and so on. So, how to use manuka honey to gain all the benefits? Read below!
How To Use Manuka Honey?
- Boil a teaspoon of ginger and basil leaves in a cup of water. Steep the tea for 5 minutes. Add a teaspoon of manuka honey. Drink the tea every day or during cold.
- In a glass of lukewarm water, add a teaspoon of lemon juice as well as manuka honey. Drink it daily empty stomach for proper digestion.
- You can also apply raw honey to moisturize your skin and prevent inflammations.
Raw Manuka Honey Health Benefits
The manuka honey health benefits can be extracted when it is consumed in the right amount. Ask your dietician and doctor before eating honey since the manuka honey side effects can be severe.
1. Heal Your Wounds With Honey.
Scars, burns as well as cuts can get infected. An active ingredient, methylglyoxal, found in manuka honey acts as an antibacterial agent. Therefore, applying raw honey benefits the healing process and keep it bacteria-free.
2. Have Plaque-Free Teeth.
Teeth decay when plaque builds up in them. Bacteria in the mouth grows and leads to pyorrhea, gingivitis as well as bleeding gums. Manuka honey is antibacterial and therefore can be taken every day for better oral health.
3. Treat Cough & Sore Throat.
Seasonal cold and fever cause sore throats and cough. Manuka honey health benefits include treating fevers and colds by killing the viruses or harmful bacteria in the throat. It reduces the irritation and adds a layer of moisture to the throat, which eases cough.
4. Gastric Issues Remain Under Control.
Acidity, ulcers as well as irritable bowel disease are some conditions caused by inflammation in the stomach. Honey, being anti-inflammatory and rich in antioxidants, heals gastric diseases.
5. Get Supple & Soft Skin.
Manuka honey is antimicrobial, which means that it kills bacteria on the skin that cause acne as well as pimples. The raw honey benefits by moisturizing and cooling the skin with its anti-inflammatory properties. How to use manuka honey for skin? Apply directly on the face.
Manuka Honey Side Effects
Here are the lesser known but possible manuka honey side effects to watch out for:
- People allergic to bees may get a reaction on eating honey.
- Infants below the age of 2 years should not be given manuka honey as it increases the risk of food infections.
- Honey has natural sugar which can affect the blood sugar levels of diabetic people.
Note: Articles on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness on natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.