Unfortunately, acne is something millions of people have to deal with well beyond their teenage years. And with the depleting quality of the air and rising levels of stress, this isn’t getting any better. But hey, don’t lose heart just yet – there are tons of things you can do! One of them is to simply tweak your diet. You’d be surprised by just how effective a bunch of foods can be in fighting off acne…as well as how much harm others can cause. Follow these acne diet tips and see for yourself.
Foods That Clear Acne…
1. Low Glycemic Foods
Low glycemic foods are simply those that don’t cause high spikes in blood sugar levels. If you are undergoing any kind of acne treatment, chances are that unless you also cut back on these foods, you won’t have yourself a permanent or effective solution.
Some Low GI Foods:
- Brown rice
- Bitter gourd
- Whole wheat
- Sweet potato
- Legumes and lentils
- Most fruits and non-starchy vegetables
2. Omega-3 Packed Foods
Omega-3 fatty acids are great for your skin. They reduce inflammation and higher levels of this nutrient are linked to lesser acne. In addition to eating foods, you can also buy herbal ointments enriched with this nutrient.
Some Vegan Omega-3 Packed Foods:
3. Rich Sources Of Antioxidants
If you have acne, you want to get plenty of antioxidants into your body. They fight free radicals and fix skin damage. They also help prevent the recurrence of acne in the future. Moreover, they strengthen immunity too.
Some Rich Sources Of Antioxidants:
- Green tea
- Kidney beans
- Dark chocolate (take only in limited quantities!)
4. Inflammation Fighters
For many people with acne, inflammation is the enemy. So it’s obvious that including inflammation lowering foods in one’s diet can go a long way in helping remove acne. So, eat your way to clear skin with these foods.
Some Inflammation Fighters:
- Probiotics like yogurt, kefir, and kombucha
- Olive oil
- Leafy greens like spinach and kale
Foods That Cause Acne As Well As Worsen It…
- Dairy products like cheese and milk – especially bad for hormonal pimples
- Excess sugar – triggers breakouts, increases inflammation, and boosts stress
- Bread – can irritate the stomach and cause inflammation
- Potato chips – one of the unhealthiest acne-causing junk foods
- Other junk food – harms health in many ways and spoils the skin
- Refined carbs – cause blood sugar spikes
- Alcohol – can cause all kinds of skin issues, including acne and aging.
In addition to tweaking your diet, we highly recommend also leading an overall healthier lifestyle – because the way you live shows on your skin. So, exercise regularly, avoid smoking, manage your stress, and spend time in nature.
Note: Posts on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness about natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.