Millions of people have to deal with acne well beyond their teenage years. But hey, don’t lose heart – acne diet tips might just save the day! Studies have linked a clean and healthy diet to lower occurrences of acne. Here are some the best and worst food for pimples.
Foods That Clear Acne For Good
1. Low Glycemic Foods
Low glycemic foods are simply those that don’t cause high spikes in blood sugar. If you’re undergoing acne treatment, chances are, you won’t have yourself a permanent or effective solution unless you also eat more low GI foods.
Some low GI foods:
- Brown rice
- Bitter gourd
- Whole wheat
- Sweet potatoes
- Legumes and lentils
- Non-starchy vegetables
2. Foods High In Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for good skin. They keep inflammation levels down, tackle dullness and increase moisture. Aside from eating Omega-3 rich foods, you could also buy Omega-3 enriched creams.
Some Omega-3 Packed Foods:
3. Rich Sources Of Antioxidants
Anyone suffering from acne should load up on antioxidant rich foods. Antioxidants fight free radicals and fix skin damage. They help prevent the recurrence of acne. Plus, they’re great for your immune system.
Rich Sources Of Antioxidants:
- Green tea
- Kidney beans
- Dark chocolate (don’t overdo it!)
- Indian gooseberries
4. Inflammation Fighters
Inflammation causes a host of skin woes, including acne. Inflamed acne can get pretty nasty with swelling, redness and a whole lot of itching. Inflammation fighting foods might be just the thing your skin has needed all this time.
Some Inflammation Fighters:
- Probiotics like yogurt, kefir, and kombucha
- Olive oil
- Leafy greens like spinach and kale
Foods That Cause And Worsen Acne
- Dairy products like cheese and milk are especially bad for pimples caused by hormonal imbalance.
- Sugar triggers breakouts, increases inflammation, and aggravates stress. Excess sugar can wreck havoc in your body.
- Gluten can irritate the stomach and cause inflammation in some.
- Potato chips are one of the unhealthiest acne-causing junk foods.
- Refined carbs cause blood sugar spikes.
- Alcohol can cause all kinds of skin issues, including acne and ageing.
In addition to improving your diet, vow to live healthier on the whole because your skin reflects your inner state. Exercise regularly, quit smoking if you do, take a break from your stressful job…just be good to yourself. You deserve it.
Posts on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness about natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.