Parents of children with an autistic disorder are often on the look out for ways to help their children cope with their hardships. This disorder can’t be cured. But the good news is that Ayurveda offers many ways to make the the journey of an autistic child a bit easier. Herbs work as autism medication while other lifestyle measures serve as a helpful autism treatment.
As per Ayurveda autism results from severe imbalances in Vata, the dosha that governs the nervous system. Vata is also responsible for a person being hypersensitive, anxious, unfocused, and erratic. The effects of autism, however, are not only felt on the brain – the immune and digestive systems are also generally very weak.
Some form of autism treatment is therefore necessary.
Early Signs Of Autism
- High or low sensitivity to sight, touch, smell, sound as well as taste
- Difficulty focusing
- Difficulty in social interaction
- Lack of language skills
- Attachment to routine
- Physical ticks
- Low empathy
- Either overactive or passive behaviour
- Repetitive body movements
- Lack of mind-body coordination
- Emotional outbursts
Autism Treatment In Ayurveda
1. Herbs Are A Helpful Autism Medication.
Ayurveda offers autism medication in the form of herbs. Medicinal plants can improve memory, aid better nerve function, and reduce hypersensitivity. They soothe anxiety, boost immunity, and flush out toxins. Other herbs also support digestion. Some of the best herbs for autism are…
For the mind:
2. Massage Soothes The Body & Mind.
Abhyanga, the Ayurvedic art of massage, is a good autism therapy. It grounds Vata, reduces restlessness, and promotes detoxification. Massage promotes peaceful sleep and also aids immunity. If your child is comfortable with it, then include massage in their routine. This can be done either by you or at an Ayurvedic centre.
3. Ayurvedic Tips For Stronger Immunity
If your autistic child has weak immunity, try these tips:
- Give them immune-boosting herbs we earlier mentioned.
- Encourage regular exercise in fresh air. Good blood circulation is important.
- Let them get proper sleep since it is essential for immune function and body repair.
- Probiotics like pickles as well as yogurt are helpful.
- Take stress-reducing measures.
- Encourage a diet full of fresh vegetables as well as fruits.
- Reduce the child’s intake of processed foods since they weaken the immune system. Refined salt as well as sugar are bad.
- Encouraging good hygiene also reduces infections.
4. Ayurveda Helps Aid Digestion.
Many children with autism suffer from improper digestion.
- Ayurveda recommends maintaining the correct meal timings – breakfast around 7-8 am, lunch around 12-1 pm, and then dinner around 5-6 pm.
- Agni is strongest at noon and so lunch should be the heaviest meal, not breakfast.
- Keep an eye on food allergies and intolerances.
- Use digestive spices such as turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and black pepper.
- Warm water also helps cleanse the digestive tract and maintain strong agni.
5. Yoga Poses Also Bring Improvements.
Another good autism therapy is yoga for kids. Yoga poses help improve focus and concentration. They significantly reduce anxiety and depression. Yoga boosts mind-body coordination and boosts muscle strength in the child. After a hard day at school, the child can have a relaxing and refreshing yoga session. Or every morning so that they start the day on a positive note.
Any questions about autism therapy for your child? Just write to us!
Note: Posts on Ayurvedum are solely for the purpose of sharing the goodness of Ayurveda and bringing awareness about natural and healthy living. Please do not substitute it for professional medical advice. Ingredients discussed can interfere with certain medications. So, before using anything to treat yourself, always consult an Ayurveda doctor or practitioner.